Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

ME3 (Where we discuss things other than the ending)

< Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 26 Next >

11.07.2012 9:14pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

There were a couple of female turians in the comics, but the reason they never showed up in-game was lack of priority/point and/or modeling laziness.

Jump to Post

11.08.2012 8:17am
 (Edited on 11.08.2012 at 10:23am)

The Joker
Infernal Spawn of Evil

So no actual lore wise explanation. I wonder if they're gonna touch the subject now or if it's just that you happened to never encounter any until now. I can't imagine none of the characters at least commenting on it.

Edit: Apparently the Normandy crew isn't involved at all and the DLC is only 4 hours long. =/

I still might get it, but for 1200 points I kinda expected a bit more.

Jump to Post

11.08.2012 2:47pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Yeah, there weren't any lore explanations I could remember. Turian females serve in the military just like the males (Garrus' reach and flexibility story from ME2 recalls that the female he eventually hooked up with was a soldier and an equally good fighter as he was) and turian society doesn't really seem to care much about gender differences since it's a very meritocratic culture. Until this upcoming DLC, turian females did show up in the comics. It's just they never really bothered to devote resources or budget to them in-game.

Jump to Post

11.08.2012 3:35pm

resare
Exceptional narcissist

Since when was "only 4 hours long" something to be disappointed about? I think that's pretty reasonable for extra content.

Jump to Post

11.08.2012 5:42pm

The Joker
Infernal Spawn of Evil

My standards might be high. The first DLC I ever got was Shivering Isles and that has made me judge every other DLC against it, though several expansions to the Fallout games reach about the same value for the cost as well. (E.g. Point Lookout, Honest Hearts and Old World Blues which were all 800 points.)

Still, maybe Omega will last longer than 4 hours for me. We'll see.

Jump to Post

11.08.2012 6:53pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

To be fair, Shivering Isles was less DLC and more outright expansion pack. Also a heck of a lot less linear than Mass Effect so you can get a lot more bang out of it. DLC's also gotten steadily larger (and more expensive) as MS has gradually increased the limitations on XBL.

I also think standards have changed up some, especially from the old days when we'd buy $60-70 SNES games that only lasted about like, 6-8 hours.

Jump to Post

11.08.2012 7:47pm

Zubis
Registered Member

https://twitter.com/CaseyDHudson/status/266612856517181440

"We're in early stages of designing a completely new Mass Effect game. What would you want to see in it?"

Brave man.

Jump to Post

11.08.2012 7:52pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

inb4 the gazillion good ending tweets.

Jump to Post

11.08.2012 8:25pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

First Contact War, motherfuckers.

Jump to Post

11.08.2012 9:10pm

Zubis
Registered Member

It probably will be, though I wish it weren't. I dislike that a prequel would buy them two years or so to actually come up with a good solution for the ME universe.

Jump to Post

11.08.2012 9:53pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

reido said:

First Contact War, motherfuckers.

First Contact War with Anderson as the main character works.

Jump to Post

11.08.2012 10:17pm

Zubis
Registered Member

I don't think they could afford to pay Keith David for an entire game :P

EDIT: Nevermind, he was in Smiley earlier this year. He needs the work.

Jump to Post

11.09.2012 1:37pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

CaButler said:

First Contact War with Anderson as the main character works.

First Contact War... from the Turian perspective!

Jump to Post

11.09.2012 7:31pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

First Contact War... from the hanar perspective!

First Contact War would work for me, but they would certainly need to have meaningful consequences outside of winning the war.  Anderson absolutely wouldn't work for me, because he's an established character.  I want good roleplaying options, better than in ME3, and I want to actually determine the fate of my character.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

11.09.2012 8:17pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

First Contact War would be really hard to make into an open-ended RPG since we know how it begins and how it ends, with the events of the conflict and the events afterwards being covered fairly nicely by the Codex as well as the first novel. Prequels also tend to be obnoxious about retcons and such. I think the only option there would be a straight third person shooter with light roleplaying mechanics. Like, more shooter than ME2 even.

I think people in general make a lot more out of the First Contact War because it has a sexy name. In the grand scheme of things it was a pretty minor conflict that was a lot bigger deal to humans than turians. The whole thing only lasted a few months when the asari and salarians finally stepped in and negotiated a peace treaty. The total casualties from both sides numbered less than two thousand combined with only two significant battles in the turian occupation of Shanxi and the subsequent liberation of Shanxi. It's a nice piece of background lore but I think it'd make for a really poor game, especially an RPG.

I think a better idea for a spinoff game would be something concurrent to ME3 along with a little after dealing with the immediate consequences of Shepard's last choices. The cast of characters would really have nothing to do with Shep's crew, which frees them up from really tying them into the main trilogy's story that much. Though you'd likely have to make one ending "canon" to really get the most out of it.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 26 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter