Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

GAME OF THRONES: SEASON 4

< Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 Next >

05.06.2014 12:55am

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Shutup baby Daario knows what you like

Jump to Post

05.06.2014 2:16pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 05.06.2014 at 6:08pm)

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Atma Weapon said:

The John Arryn reveal was a complete shock to me. I had thought since season 1 that it was an open and shut case that the Lannisters twins were behind the poisoning.

If someone died under mysterious circumstances, the killer probably wasn't who you think, and it's probably Littlefinger's fault regardless.

If this season's last scene isn't
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
Lady Stoneheart

then HBO has no idea what they're doing.

"She don't speak, but she remembers."

Jump to Post

05.07.2014 6:38am

Jaran

^Yeah I keep wondering when they're going to reveal her, but considering they already went to the trouble of introducing Beric Dondarrion I can't see them ignoring her entirely.

Jump to Post

05.12.2014 2:59am
 (Edited on 05.12.2014 at 3:10am)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Finally, Show Tyrion displays a dark side! About damn time!

Seriously, though, Peter Dinklage killed it in that speech.

In other news (Dany storyline):

Not only are they diving into A Dance With Dragons, they're even taking their sweet time on that one chapter. It'll be ... ahem ... interesting to see exactly how they drag out her Meereenese knot, as they'll no doubt must.

Storm of Swords spoiler:

I just wonder how/when they're going to make Jorah Mormont become exposed as the spy to Dany, since it didn't happen at the same point it did in the book, aka before the actual conquest of Meereen.

Jump to Post

05.12.2014 3:05am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Dinklage stole the show on the last scene. That was his greatest performance on the series. And I don't make that praise lightly.

Jump to Post

05.12.2014 5:48am

Jaran

^Yup, he fucking lit the set on fire. And what would you expect having just had his heart ripped out, ground into a fine powder, snorted, and vomited back onto the floor.

Jump to Post

05.12.2014 6:02am
 (Edited on 05.12.2014 at 8:47am)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

I'll register my one real complaint: That Yara aka Asha scene was pointless as hell. I could at least see the purpose behind Craster's Keep last week, but this one, not so much.

Other than that, good episode, great even. Especially, of course, the last 20 minutes.

Jump to Post

05.12.2014 12:16pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

Jesus four years on you'd think he would've perfected the accent by now at least.  Every time a scene is starting to soar he pronounces an "oh" as an "oo" and my eye twitches like Hannibal Lecter watching that flautist.

Jump to Post

05.12.2014 2:32pm

Jaran

Jump to Post

05.12.2014 4:36pm
Thread Creator

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Tyrion's speech:  the first of many, many, many awesome moments.  Buckle up, folks, we're getting into the good shit now.

Jump to Post

05.12.2014 5:12pm

Kal
yes

There was a strange cognitive dissonance between Shae's testimony and their relationship up to that point. 

On the one hand, their treatment of Shae as a character so far has been appalling, but on the other, her scene at the trial was very well handled.
I don't doubt for a second that she was paid and/or coerced by Cersei into giving this testimony (as evidenced by her wearing Sansa's dress) but everything that comes before makes it seem like she was doing this out of spite and jealousy, which is frankly utterly ridiculous. 

book whining:
In the books, Shae is a whore, she's clear about, she never lies about it, except when Tyrion, who is borderline abusive towards her, explicitely asks her to. She is a victim of horrible circumstances (being a whore in one of the most dangerous places to be a whore) but she tries to make the best of it by playing along. 
As a result, I never considered Shae's testimony to be a "betrayal", not anymore than Bronn refusing to fight for him. I simply saw it as a victim trying to use what little agency she had to better her situation. What was she supposed to do? Lie to protect Tyrion and die? Refuse to testify and probably die as well? With the information available to her at the time, testifying against Tyrion was her ultimate act of self-preservation.

Here, they turn the whole situation into a "hell hath no fury" kinda thing, turning the character of Shae into a terrible scorned and spiteful woman stereotype who's doing all those things because she was jealous of Sansa? Wtf?

Anyway, I'm not surprised â?? I've long stopped expecting this show to depict women as people capable of making their own decisions.

But yeah Dinklage was okay i guess and the Ironborn/dreadfort scene was utterly stupid.

Jump to Post

05.12.2014 6:22pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Jump to Post

05.12.2014 6:28pm
Thread Creator

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Daario:
"I also got a line on some sweet-ass clones."

Jump to Post

05.13.2014 4:46am

dem
Sing for me, little bird

Love that Ramsay was covered in blood before he started fighting the Ironborn. Sorry, Miranda but he was just toying with you like everyone else. Other than that, I didn't take very much from the Dreadfort scenes this week either.

Book stuff:

Looks like Tywin is sending someone into Meereen to somehow get word to Dany that Jorah was spying on her. I'm guessing Barristan will hear about it and go straight to Dany. Nothing at all like book Tywin who basically dismissed the tales of dragons in the far east as fairytales that he didn't have time to hear whilst fighting a war. Now he's apparently going to be able to add sowing discord in Dany's court from thousands of miles away to his list of strategic ahievements before being killed on the shitter. Fine by me since Charles Dance is a fucking boss in the role.

I like that they have gotten into the habit of spending more time with each storyline at once before cutting to another storyline in this season. In the past they would intercut between the different storylines at lot more often. If I wasn't already a reader of the books I would find it a lot easier to follow what's going on this way.

Jump to Post

05.13.2014 12:37pm

Zo
another blue ribbon

My mates and I talked a lot about Book!Shae last night.
I can imagine Shae was one of the most difficult characters to adapt for the TV show because so much of her story comes of seeing her through Tyrion's eyes - he allows himself to believe that she returns his feelings for her, and the narrative leaves much of Shae's motivation for staying with Tyrion ambiguous, riiiight up to the trial, at which point it becomes crystal clear that their relationship was very much employer/employee and any other investment that he had in it was Tyrion fooling himself. Tyrion is humiliated but it's entirely his own fault - and what's more, Tywin was right all along. So when he murders her, it's a dark moment because it's more to do with Tyrion's own self-loathing at this point than anything Shae's done wrong - it's just her job, after all.

But in the show there's no ambiguity to her. She's a whore, and she kinda sorta has feelings for Tyrion - she has enough scenes of her interacting with characters who aren't Tyrion, and in front of whom she has no motivation to pretend otherwise, that the fact that she has feelings for Tyrion is pretty clear. So you have to send her down this road of being jealous about Sansa and... I'm sorry, Shae is much, much smarter than that. Smart enough to know that anything Tyrion does is for her own good, smart enough to know that Sansa isn't a threat, and certainly smart enough to have known from the start that Tyrion was never going to make a lady out of her. Rings hollow.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter