Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Game Of Thrones: Season 6

< Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 Next >

06.27.2016 3:55am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Yeah ... ummm, no complaints.

If not the best episode outright, definitely the best season finale by a million light years in a show that hadn't done season finales well.

Jump to Post

06.27.2016 3:56am

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Random blabbering fanboyist reactions:
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
RIP Marge, the only character out of the probably-literal dozens we just lost who made me even a little bit sad.

The entire opening sequence in King's Landing was goddamn masterful.  Gorgeously shot, gorgeously scored, tension just ramping up and up and up even though you know what's coming, what has to be coming.  Lord, when this show is on fire, it is on fire.  Pun fully intended.  Even on the micro level--like Tommen steps out of frame and the camera lingers... and lingers... and lingers and you know exactly what's going to happen, but it drags out just long enough, just a heartbeat long enough--and then there he is, and then there he goes.  So good.

"We want to give you your hearts desire: justice, vengeance--"
"FIRE AND BLOOD. Oh, sorry Ellaria, where you giving a speech? I didn't mean to swoop in and steal the best part."

Lyanna Mormont still MVP.

FREY PIES.  THEY PUT IN FREY PIES.

That shot of all the white ravens flying out of the citadel.  That shot inside the library!  The globes from the credits!

Dany turning away Daario--Dany growing up and getting over a relationship that pretty much only existed because she was so young and headstrong and foolish (moreso in the books)

Dany making Tyrion the Hand of the Queen.  Tyrion's fucking face when she did it.

R L J CONFIRMED.

Cersei on the throne.  Lord.

DANY ON HER WAY TO WESTEROS.  LORDY.

Hot damn.  HOT DAMN.

Jump to Post

06.27.2016 4:01am

Call
Firefightin' Administrator
Administrator

As far as soundtrack, I liked the violin music as the lead up to you-know-what, like Nero playing as he watched the disaster unfold.

While I won't mourn his passing, 

I knew when Tommen removed his crown and walked away from the window, he would go back, since they lingered on it.  It's an old trick, but I felt it was well-used here.  Tommen vacated his position before killing himself, instead of using his death to do so.  Very symbolic, I thought, of him finally deciding he'd had enough of being king before deciding he'd had enough of being alive.  Plus, his smoking hot wife had just died.  But who will take care of Ser Pounce?!?

Jump to Post

06.27.2016 6:03am
Thread Creator

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Agreed with everyone else.

A single complaint

what the fuck teleportation device is Varys using to be in Dorne and then back to the invasion fleet before they set sail?

And an observation

I didn't see Tommen's suicide coming at all, but thinking about it Margaery's death must have hit him extremely hard. The last two seasons it's been illustrated again and again that he's powerless to protect her or anyone he loves from anyone else. And given the entire situation was precipitated by Cersei, one wonders how aware he was of her role in that. One wonders how hard the High Sparrow had to argue for abolishing trial by combat. One wonder, with his queen dead, if Tommen wanted nothing more than to be free of the machinations of both the Faith and his own mother.

Jump to Post

06.27.2016 12:38pm

Call
Administrator

I wondered about Varys's rapid movements (and Arya's as well), but I read there were Dornish banners/sails and Tyrell banners/sails in the fleet, meaning he would have sailed with them to rejoin Dany.  I couldn't pick them out myself and can't find a still shot, but it would make that entire scene more logical.  Considering Asha/Yara and Theon sailed around the world in an episode or so, it's just one more convenient use of time manipulation to advance the story, which, THANK GOD! actually appears to be advancing.  I won't complain about fudging travel times if it moves us closer to resolution and allows Arya to shorten her list.

Combining the Tyrell army (I believe it's the largest in Westeros) with what's already coming...whoa.

Jump to Post

06.27.2016 1:45pm

Magnus
Registered Member

Jaran said:

Agreed with everyone else.

A single complaint

what the fuck teleportation device is Varys using to be in Dorne and then back to the invasion fleet before they set sail?

I heard a rumor Varys knows someone on the Defiant. Apparently he's called 'The Sisko', first name 'Don't Fuck With'

As for the Tower of Joy Scene

Until we know what Jon's true name is, I say we unofficially call him 'The Targaryen currently known as Jon Snow".

The way the name was muffled by editing and conveniently cutting to a shot of Bran watching so lip readers could not sound out the name, indicated the show runners and GRRM don't want us knowing the Jon's true name just yet. Everyhting else Lyanna said could b heard just by turning up the volume or really listening.

The only thing I could piece together form the clip was that the first part of his name is spelled 'Aer' since we know Targaryens liked to use certian variaitons  of 'Ae' 'Rh', 'Er', and 'Aer'  in their first names. Rhaegar did not break form that tradition with his first two children, so likely he selected a name for Jon following it. If Bran could not hear it, then likely Howland Reed knows it.

Jump to Post

06.27.2016 2:30pm

Call
Administrator

Which means Meera probably does, too.  I think Meera already knows everything Bran learned (and everything he couldn't hear) last night.

Jump to Post

06.27.2016 4:38pm
Thread Creator

Jaran

A lot of people were (at the time, rightly) complaining about Jaime's moral compass reset in the books being ditched in favor of "I <3 Cersei" in the show. However

The show just fucking threw that right in his face. Cersei just committed (a slightly smaller version of) the exact atrocity Jaime sacrificed his honor to prevent when he killed Aerys II. And given that, with her children all dead, Cersei's last link to moral grounding is severed, Jaime will be fulfilling his role as the Valonquar before too long.

Jump to Post

06.27.2016 5:23pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Jaran said:

A lot of people were (at the time, rightly) complaining about Jaime's moral compass reset in the books being ditched in favor of "I <3 Cersei" in the show. However

The show just fucking threw that right in his face. Cersei just committed (a slightly smaller version of) the exact atrocity Jaime sacrificed his honor to prevent when he killed Aerys II. And given that, with her children all dead, Cersei's last link to moral grounding is severed, Jaime will be fulfilling his role as the Valonquar before too long.

Eh, while the adage "different path to the same destination" applies logically here, the Book!path REALLY developed Jaime as a character, whereas the Show!path got to this same destination by, well, Jaime riding up and being shocked at seeing the Sept a flaming wreck.

Which is really a microcosm of the book vs. the show, in general. The show, especially recently, relies on shock value more than intricate character development.

It made sense enough, sure, but the Show!path to the same destination, at least regards Jaime's character development, remains far less satisfying.

Jump to Post

06.27.2016 10:42pm
Thread Creator

Jaran

Music from THAT sequence

Jump to Post

06.28.2016 1:27am

Lexx
I know how they work

Magnus said:

As for the Tower of Joy Scene

Until we know what Jon's true name is, I say we unofficially call him 'The Targaryen currently known as Jon Snow".

The way the name was muffled by editing and conveniently cutting to a shot of Bran watching so lip readers could not sound out the name, indicated the show runners and GRRM don't want us knowing the Jon's true name just yet. Everyhting else Lyanna said could b heard just by turning up the volume or really listening.

The only thing I could piece together form the clip was that the first part of his name is spelled 'Aer' since we know Targaryens liked to use certian variaitons  of 'Ae' 'Rh', 'Er', and 'Aer'  in their first names. Rhaegar did not break form that tradition with his first two children, so likely he selected a name for Jon following it. If Bran could not hear it, then likely Howland Reed knows it.

It's always been my fanon that Jon's real name is Aemon.  It was said somewhere that Rhaegar and Maester Aemon used to correspond with each other via raven, so if Rhaegar went with a Targaryen name, Aemon makes as much sense as any.

Jump to Post

06.28.2016 11:31am

The Hulk
Good Boy

I think I might finally love this show.  That was undeniably a phenomenal piece of drama, pretty much from start to finish.

Jump to Post

06.28.2016 1:42pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Lexx said:

It's always been my fanon that Jon's real name is Aemon.  It was said somewhere that Rhaegar and Maester Aemon used to correspond with each other via raven, so if Rhaegar went with a Targaryen name, Aemon makes as much sense as any.

I like the faux-theory that it's something like "Jaeharys" but Ned Stark was ilke "I can't fookin' pronounce that, kid, so we're gonna call you 'Jon'." (I don't think I read that here but if I did someone call me out on it.)

Jump to Post

06.28.2016 3:42pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

reido, did you play the Telltale Game of Thrones game?  I could never like Margaery after playing that - she was just horrible!

Jump to Post

06.28.2016 3:46pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I did not!  I have never been able to get into the Telltale games.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter