Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Guillermo del Toro directs a movie about giant robots.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next >

05.16.2013 7:42pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Probably just trying to build hype and leave some surprises. Knowing Del Toro, I doubt he'd make a giant monster movie that runs for two hours plus and only have five minutes total of monster footage.

Jump to Post

05.16.2013 7:45pm

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

I know the movie is going to rock, but I think that the trailers, as trailers, suck.  They're so dark and there's so much debris and smoke and water obscuring so much.  I mean, with the Transformers movies you could tell what was going on.  You can't really do that here.

There's some punching there's some tackling there's some jumping and there's the scene at the end with the boat.  And even if grappling is the main form of combat we still can't tell.

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

05.16.2013 7:58pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Say what?  You could tell what was going on in Transformers? XD

Jump to Post

05.16.2013 8:08pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Dr Squirrel said:

I mean, with the Transformers movies you could tell what was going on.  You can't really do that here.

Honestly I'm the opposite man. I love the Pacific Rim footage because you can see everything.

The fact I can't see the details in this Transformers trailer bugs the hell out of me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH3STHC63hU&;t=90

Jump to Post

05.16.2013 8:34pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Sheesh. I remember being so excited about Revenge of the Fallen, and then I saw it and it was all racist characters, overblown effects, too much globetrotting and robot testicles. I might be in the minority, but I feel that Dark of the Moon more than repaired the damage that Revenge had done.

Anyway, I'm totally stoked for Pacific Rim. If you asked me, Del Toro can do no wrong, even with a big, huge studio picture like this.

Jump to Post

05.16.2013 8:54pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Catastrophe said:

Sheesh. I remember being so excited about Revenge of the Fallen, and then I saw it and it was all racist characters, overblown effects, too much globetrotting and robot testicles. I might be in the minority, but I feel that Dark of the Moon more than repaired the damage that Revenge had done.

I can agree with that.  Aside from the fact that Hasbro totally screwed the pooch with the merchandising for DOTM.  ROTF=terrible movie with a decent toyline that lasted WAY too long, DOTM=decent movie with one of the most poorly-executed, short-lived, bumblebee-packed lines with piss-poor distribution in Transformers history.

But hey, this is about giant robot movies, not what man-children like me collect in their spare time.

Jump to Post

05.31.2013 1:02pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Oversized Robot Set featurette.

Imagine playing a mecha video game with that as a control.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

05.31.2013 1:59pm

Tristan
Just Giv'r

Wow, that's a pretty amazing set!

Jump to Post

05.31.2013 5:14pm

resare
Exceptional narcissist

I enjoyed the Pacific Rim trailer, then I heard Glados and decided I'd rather watch that movie with Will Smith and his lanky kid.

Jump to Post

05.31.2013 5:38pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

No, no you don't. After Earth  = worst movie of 2013.

Jump to Post

05.31.2013 5:48pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

resare said:

I enjoyed the Pacific Rim trailer, then I heard Glados and decided I'd rather watch that movie with Will Smith and his lanky kid.

If it helps, the Glados voice is only for the trailer.

Jump to Post

05.31.2013 7:39pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

This movie screams Battleship-caliber box office flop.

Jump to Post

05.31.2013 9:21pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Unlike Battleship though which tried to portray it's ludicrious premise seriously, this is so obviously live-action anime (and done in a very tongue-in-cheek way too - I mean, the trailers show the apparent designer of the mechs is a stereotyped geek!) you can't go into the theatre to watch this and expect a serious work of film.  This is just exceptionally good junk.

And damn I want to see this. :D

Jump to Post

05.31.2013 9:35pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Enkidoh said:

I mean, the trailers show the apparent designer of the mechs is a stereotyped geek!

Jump to Post

05.31.2013 10:00pm

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

Atma Weapon said:

This movie screams Battleship-caliber box office flop.

Uh...This is an American kaiju movie, made by one of the best monster movie auteurs in the modern era, with some incredibly talented actors, and graphic designers that know what they're doing.

This movie has as much to do with Battleship as a banana has to do with a pineapple. Their similarities are present, but incredibly small and insignificant.

Pacific Rim is right up there with Man of Steel on my 'must see' list.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter