Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Guillermo del Toro directs a movie about giant robots.

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Next >

06.01.2013 1:05am

Lexx
Terran Angel

I'm so disappointed in you plebs.  You should be much more excited for the superior giant mech film:

Jump to Post

06.01.2013 8:17pm
 (Edited on 06.01.2013 at 8:33pm)

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

^lol, wtf?

Indiana Jerico said:

Cruise liner as a weapon.

Fuck yes.

I actually just watched that last trailer now.  Looks cheesy but still awesome. :D   Love how they're pretty much using almost the same dramatic music as the Transformers films, though. :p

Jump to Post

06.03.2013 3:00pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Lexx said:

I'm so disappointed in you plebs. You should be much more excited for the superior giant mech film:

Man, they're not even trying now.

Jump to Post

06.03.2013 5:58pm

Tristan
Just Giv'r

Should've known that Asylum already had a knockoff on deck.

Jump to Post

06.03.2013 6:23pm

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

Catastrophe said:

Man, they're not even trying now.

As opposed to their significant efforts of the past, amirite?

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

07.02.2013 3:38am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

You want kaijus? Here're some kaijus!

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

07.06.2013 11:34pm

judge_raz

This may be the best monster movie ever made. My excitement is palpable at this point.

Do you hear me? PALPABLE.

Jump to Post

07.07.2013 12:09am
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Hideo Kojima's gone nuts about it over on Twitter.

https://kotaku.com/hideo-kojima-reviews-pacific-rim-in-eight-tweets-680304164

I don't see it being a huge success though, people don't seem to be interested in it.

Jump to Post

07.07.2013 2:41am

judge_raz

I think Hideo Kojima is pretty much the best person to ask if you should see Pacific Rim or not.

But, come this time two weeks from now, I will officially quit Hollywood. I don't think this will bomb, but there's no way that it will do as well as the Transformers abortions. And all the while, hundreds of thousands of people will continue asking why Hollywood doesn't give us anything new and why it won't take any chances.

When you don't go out to see movies like this, the answer to, "Why doesn't anything new come out anymore" and "why is there nothing but remakes and sequels in the movie theater" is: You. The movie goer who decides to go see rancid shit like Transformers instead of something new, exciting and special like Pacific Rim.

Jump to Post

07.07.2013 10:13am

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

It has monsters, giant robots, and apparently a lot of the Sons of Anarchy cast (well, Ron Perlman and Jax anyway). GIVE ME THIS MOVIE NOW.

Jump to Post

07.07.2013 3:09pm

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

I don't see what's new or exciting or special about another movie about CG models fighting other CG models. In this case I guess the CG models are based on 80s Japanese cartoons instead of 80s toys, which means nothing to me or 97% of the moviegoing audience. I've also seen and heard a bunch about this movie but don't know anything about the CHARACTERS, i.e. flesh and blood human beings that I like watching more than I like watching CG models.

This is going to be another Cabin in the Woods where Internet people are shocked that the general public doesn't want to watch a two-hour catalog of nerd references. People go the movies to see EVERYMAN PROTAGONISTS and WISECRACKING and SEXUAL TENSION and OVERCOMING PERSONAL TRAUMA. They have not been waiting 30 years to see a kaiju on the big screen. They don't care.

"But it's Guillermo del Toro!" They don't care.

Also all the action sequences seem to take place at night and in the rain. Whose fucking idea was that.

Jump to Post

07.08.2013 6:51am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Mole said:
 People go the movies to see EVERYMAN PROTAGONISTS and WISECRACKING and SEXUAL TENSION and OVERCOMING PERSONAL TRAUMA. 

Doesn't explain Transformers though.

Also, are you seriously suggesting that people went to see Iron Man for the everyman protagonist, wisecracks, sexual tension and overcoming personal trauma? I'm willing to bet probably 80% of the people who saw the first Iron Man have no idea who he is, or who Tony Stark is, or the background story of the character. They saw the Iron man suit do fantastic superhero stuff and they liked it, so they watched it.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

07.08.2013 7:52am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

I don't know what the general public will and won't go see.  All I know is that the whole people in giant robots thing doesn't do it for me, and that's like 95% of what this movie is selling itself on.  I don't complain about the number of remakes and sequels, anyway; I just watch what interests me and ignore the rest.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

07.08.2013 9:34am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

I'll say it again, no one wants to see this because the trailers are a particle effect filled mess that you can't figure out.  Cabin in the Woods is a great analogy, except that one had barely any budget so it made a huge profit anyway.

It's great that Hideo loves it, but there's literally nobody who knows who he is that didn't already want to see it.

This is probably going to be another Scott Pilgrim situation where the main group of people who want to see it will just torrent it instead of paying money.

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

07.08.2013 10:57am

Kal
yes

Having seen many movies with Channing Tatum, most recent of which was Magic Mike: I just don't see the point of watching a movie in which he doesn't take his clothes off.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter