Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Man of Steel

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 8 Next >

12.11.2012 6:07pm
Thread Creator

JSG
Registered Member

...okay nothing I've tried has actually gotten this video to embed.

How the hell do you do that?

Nevermind.  Finally figured out the code.

Jump to Post

12.11.2012 6:45pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Pass.

Batman needed to be Nolanized. Superman...No. No. No.

Also, I'm getting tired of these reboots going back to the well instead of diving into the source materials and using any number of things that haven't already been used. Man of Steel is recycling General Zod. Star Trek Into Darkness is (maybe) using Khan.

And another thing. If we already know a character's origins story, do we really need to be told it again?!

Jump to Post

12.11.2012 7:16pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

Trailer looks jawsome.  But trailers lie.

Still though...even the briefest glimpse of fucking Michael Shannon as Zod had me doing a little sex pee in my pants.  This film oozes potential from every pore, would be a crying shame if they managed to fuck it up.

Jump to Post

12.11.2012 7:37pm
Thread Creator

JSG
Registered Member

Catastrophe said:

If we already know a character's origins story, do we really need to be told it again?!

Yes.

Yes we do.

And we'll need it again in five or ten years, and again in another five or ten.

I mean, what's the point of a superhero movie if it's not an origin story?  Some poor moviegoer could accidentally walk into the second movie in a series and not know how Peter Parker became Spider-Man, and he'd be confused and not go see more!

Jump to Post

12.11.2012 7:43pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

To me a reboot would just feel wrong without redoing the origins in some kind of substantial fashion.  I like my stories to feel whole, so y'know...a beginning is kind of essential.

Jump to Post

12.11.2012 8:23pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Looks pretty cool to me.

Catastrophe said:
And another thing. If we already know a character's origins story, do we really need to be told it again?!

Yes and no. A reboot or adaptation exists separate from what came before it and needs to stand on its own, to develop its own universe. So if it's necessary for the origin story to be an established part of the universe, then it needs to be established in-movie. If Man of Steel didn't specify that Clark grew up on a farm, then in this iteration he might have grown up anywhere.

Now you might be able to make a good standalone movie about Superman that's got nothing particularly to do with where he came from and doesn't bother with it, but that's not the same thing as "we already know".

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

12.11.2012 8:24pm
Thread Creator

JSG
Registered Member

You can do a whole story without rebooting anything or retreading the origin, though.  Especially with iconic characters like Superman.  Just tell a Superman story.  It doesn't need to involve his origin.  Everyone knows who he is and where he came from.

Like, take James Bond for example.  Most Bond movies are complete stories, with different writers and directors who want to do different things.  Goldeneye, for instance, was a whole, complete story.  And it didn't involve Bond's origin because everyone already knows everything they need to know about the character.  (Yeah, I realize that they did reboot Bond and the origin story was one of the best in the series, but the point stands that they don't NEED to do that with such an iconic character; everyone knows what's up already.)

In the same fashion, you could easily just make a Superman movie without retreading a story that everyone already knows and has seen.

Jump to Post

12.11.2012 8:36pm

Vyers
Dark Adonis

Last Superman movie left me so cold that I watched that trailer.

....and now that I have a decent plot summary of this movie, I will likely not see it in theatres.

Jump to Post

12.12.2012 2:57am

Old Juan
filled with hate

It looks a hell of a lot better than returns.

Jump to Post

12.12.2012 3:00am

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

The YouTube embed code is IMPOSSIBLE to remember, I mess it up every time I try.

Movie's gonna suck probably, unless Zack Snyder suddenly learned how to tell a story with image and sound in the past two years

Jump to Post

12.12.2012 3:04am

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

The trailer has me really excited, though I'm still pretty guarded with my expectations. It could still end up terrible, but it looks like Snyder finally figured out how to balance style with substance.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

12.12.2012 12:58pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

I'm sad there's no yellow shield at the back of his cape. :(

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

12.12.2012 1:36pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I can't blame them for retelling the origin story. For my money there aren't any other Superman stories worth telling.

Jump to Post

12.12.2012 1:56pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Amy Adams presence here gives me a little extra hope.  That said I enjoyed Watchmen, and this looks a lot more low-key than Snyder's usual work, which tends towards the over-the-top.

Atma Weapon said:

I can't blame them for retelling the origin story. For my money there aren't any other Superman stories worth telling.

There are. There are tons.  They're just mostly all elseworlds, and no one's going to make SUPERMAN: RED SON.

God I wish someone would make a RED SON movie.

Jump to Post

12.12.2012 6:14pm

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

I dunno. I like Amy Adams, but I don't think she'll be able to bring the edge that Lois Lane has that makes her so attractive.

And is it just me, or does he look really beefy outside of the costume and kinda thin in it?

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 8 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter