Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Man of Steel

< Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 Next >

06.19.2013 2:29am

Vyers
Dark Adonis

I actually really liked this movie, which is surprising to me, since I've never really liked any superman media before.

I also think I liked this more because as a remake of Superman 2, this was way more clever than the recent remake of Star Trek 2. I'm glad nobody at any point said "Kneel Before Zod". Basically I think this was my rebound movie after Star Trek into Darkness.

I haven't read this full thread yet, but I'm surprised to see people talking about being annoyed with the movie because of the stated intentions of the writer/director OUTSIDE of the movie. I always try and  take consumed media on it's own merits. For good or bad,.

Also surprised to see so many people talking about IHOP.

I knew what this is Zubis. You are too uncultured.

Also I hate to admit it when I heard Jor-el say "The best of both worlds" I could only think of Star Trek TNG.

Jump to Post

06.19.2013 8:57am

Zubis
Registered Member

But he did Kneel Before Zod :)

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.

After he broke Zod's neck he knelt before the body. That was very cheeky of Synder!

Jump to Post

06.26.2013 7:52pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

This is apparently in the running for Armond White's movie of the year

https://www.nyfcc.com/2013/06/movie-of-the-year-man-of-steel-reviewed-by-armond-white-for-cityarts/

He calls it "The Godfather of Superhero Movies".

To be fair besides that hyperbolic analogy I can agree with a number of his points.

Jump to Post

06.27.2013 5:24pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Saw it a couple of nights ago and I loved it. Not that it's saying much, but it's easily the best Superman movie since Superman II.

Totally made up for the complete disappointment that was Iron Man 3 as far as superhero movies go.

Outside of Jor-El and Lara-El sending little Kal-El to Earth, I like the way the origin story was told in flashbacks instead of a big chunk at the beginning. Like Clark was remembering key moments of his life at appropriate times.

I really liked Michael Shannon's Zod. While it lacked a lot of the campy fun of Terrence Stamp's Zod, I liked how vicious and amoral he was.

I think the best part of this movie is that Superman really had to be Superman. No Lex Luthor, no Kryptonite macguffins. Superman really had to use the most of his powers instead of being limited by some plot device. I loved it.

Hope we see other villains in these movies that really push Superman to his limits. Like Brainiac, Doomsday, and Darkseid (though if they plan on doing a JL movie they might save him for that).

Jump to Post

06.28.2013 8:49am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

I really want Daniel Day-Lewis as Lex Luthor if he is the villain of the sequel. I would so watch the movie 5 times :)

Jump to Post

07.09.2013 3:23pm

Murasame
HALE YEAH

Welp, I just saw it. Best action, decent story, and some terrible, terrible scripting. There are some absolutely awful lines in there. "Mach 24"? "There's only one way this ends. Either I die, or you die."? Hiding in an underpass during a hurricane?

Henry Cavill had the perfect range of raging anger and calming quietness that Superman demands (particularly that calming quietness /swoon), and Amy Adams was a perfect Lois. Badass though she is, the movie still didn't pass the Bechdel test. Minor quibble, but there's plenty of characters whose gender was functionally irrelevant that it could have passed without it being crazy.

I also thought the crowning moment of awesome was not as awesome as what I had thought was the actual crowning moment of awesome, specifically the
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
destruction of the terraforming machine. I guess I just feel Superman's more awesome when he's saving people than when he's beating bad guys. Given the reaction to Zod's death, I would guess that everyone else agrees.

Also, can someone please teach Zimmerman about levels? JESUS CHRIST MAN

Jump to Post

07.09.2013 3:28pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

That wasn't a hurricane, it was a tornado.  But that doesn't make it any less stupid.  The hiding under an underpass thing used to be something the local weather guy would tell you to do in the event of a tornado, because it's supposed to protect you from the cyclone...

... except that nowadays the local weather guy tells you to NOT do that and GTFO of there because that shit will just suck you out unless you're really lucky.

So I watched this movie in a theater that just the month before had an extremely near-miss and I had to keep from shouting "OH COME ON THAT'S AWFUL" at the screen.

Jump to Post

07.09.2013 3:40pm

Murasame
HALE YEAH

Bluh, I knew I wouldn't get the right word. I knew it was an American word, and Hurricane Alley sounded better than Cyclone Alley.

Jump to Post

07.09.2013 5:40pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Meanwhile my meme has 37 iterations! Yay! Minor self-congratulation over meaningless internet mini-achievement!

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

07.09.2013 6:04pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

reido said:

That wasn't a hurricane, it was a tornado.  But that doesn't make it any less stupid.  The hiding under an underpass thing used to be something the local weather guy would tell you to do in the event of a tornado, because it's supposed to protect you from the cyclone...

... except that nowadays the local weather guy tells you to NOT do that and GTFO of there because that shit will just suck you out unless you're really lucky.

So I watched this movie in a theater that just the month before had an extremely near-miss and I had to keep from shouting "OH COME ON THAT'S AWFUL" at the screen.

Well, to be fair, the whole "let's hide under an overpass!" thing was during Clark's childhood. Plus it's Murrica. There's a good chance they didn't know any better.

Jump to Post

07.09.2013 6:21pm

Murasame
HALE YEAH

According to the timeline of events, Clark would have had to have been well under 18 for him to not know any better (anything pre-1999, which is the year a buncha people got killed by staying in underpasses). Cavill is handsome, but not underage handsome, otherwise I would have been very uncomfortable with how soft his lips looked in that scene.

Jump to Post

07.09.2013 6:33pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Murasame said:

Cavill is handsome, but not underage handsome, otherwise I would have been very uncomfortable with how soft his lips looked in that scene.

I would just like to say:
Never change, Mura.

Jump to Post

07.09.2013 7:37pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

^ lol

Darth Howie said:

Meanwhile my meme has 37 iterations! Yay! Minor self-congratulation over meaningless internet mini-achievement!

Yay!  Internet achievement!  It's like that one time I made front page news at this website that has nothing to do with anything. XD  Except yours is much more relevant to this thread.

Jump to Post

07.09.2013 9:44pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Murasame said:

According to the timeline of events, Clark would have had to have been well under 18 for him to not know any better (anything pre-1999, which is the year a buncha people got killed by staying in underpasses). Cavill is handsome, but not underage handsome, otherwise I would have been very uncomfortable with how soft his lips looked in that scene.

See I think he WAS supposed to be a teenager in that scene, which is why it really didn't work.  If they had the younger looking kid act that scene, I could have maybe bought him just letting his father die because he was told to.

BTW, I have been to IHOP twice now since talking about it in this thread.  The first time was because of the thread.  Then my husband signed up for their e-mail club, which got us a coupon for a free Rooti Tooti Fresh and Fruity (which is just FUN to order).  We went back to claim that because it was a 2 week expiration, and I signed up too.  So will be going back again this weekend.  Jelly donut pancakes are a wonderful idea, but they're just pancakes with some jelly between them (not inside, just between 2 pancakes) and on top, and a tiny bit of glaze dribbled.  Boo-urns!

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter