Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Man of Steel

< Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 Next >

06.17.2013 7:34pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Just got back from the movie. I was starting to enjoy it and then Pa Kent showed up with his asshole shortsighted scummy bastard morality and ruined the whole movie for me. I despise Pa Kent to my core. He is the antithesis of a good role-model. I'm sure Clark could've saved thousands more people than he did over the course of his life if he didn't have that scuzzbucket martyr for self-centered apathy raising him. If I had powers over movie characters, I would take Pa Kent back in time and force him to watch "The Sweet Hereafter."

Fuck you, Pa Kent.

I made a meme out of it.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

06.17.2013 9:52pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

reido said:

IHOP's food-food is decent, with a few standouts that are actually really good.  But the P stands for Pancakes, and if you're not there for Pancakes, you're fucking doing it wrong.

Um, they have bacon and egg burgers.  And unless you ask for it differently, their hamburger meat has bacon already in it as well.  So there aint no shame in that!  Although a couple pancakes makes a nice side - I especially love using the boysenberry syrup!

Yeah.  I didn't dislike it...but I found myself bored?  Maybe that's not the right word, but something like bored.  I just wanted it to be over.  And when they showed him in shirtless action in the beginning, where do they go from there?

Jump to Post

06.17.2013 10:31pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

Darth Howie said:

Just got back from the movie. I was starting to enjoy it and then Pa Kent showed up with his asshole shortsighted scummy bastard morality and ruined the whole movie for me. I despise Pa Kent to my core. He is the antithesis of a good role-model. I'm sure Clark could've saved thousands more people than he did over the course of his life if he didn't have that scuzzbucket martyr for self-centered apathy raising him. If I had powers over movie characters, I would take Pa Kent back in time and force him to watch "The Sweet Hereafter."

Fuck you, Pa Kent.

I don't know if that's totally fair.  He obviously felt Clark was destined to be Superman (if not by that name exactly but in spirit) but all along those flashback points he just knew that neither Clark nor the world were ready for it.  It's easy to pick apart the manner in which they portrayed all this to us (especially in the tornado scene, "Clark could easily have done (X) or (Y) etc...") but I liked the basic idea and sentiment of it.

That third meme pic is lolsome tho.

Jump to Post

06.17.2013 11:17pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Jesus, someone rename this to the I-HOP thread :P

https://io9.com/could-another-dc-comics-superhero-reach-movie-screens-b-513735853

Anyway, David S. Goyer did comment on the secret identity issue.

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
In our minds there are people in Smallville who know Superman??s secret as well [as Lois], Pete Ross seems to know, there??s probably a couple dozen people who know and we thought it would be interesting if they??re protective of him. We were able to sidestep the issue of the ludicrous glasses disguise in this film but going forwards, we??re going to find ourselves in a sticky wicket. Zack and I have definitely talked about ??Okay, hmm, this will be interesting.? Clearly Perry White and Steve Lombard see Lois kissing Superman at the end of the film. Perry??s not an idiot. Moving forward, he??s probably going to say to Lois ??What??s up with that?? We??re definitely going to have to go through some story gymnastics.

Jump to Post

06.18.2013 2:58am

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

So having actually SEEN the movie now:

[insert crazy gushing praise here]

The product placement in Smallville at least felt more like shorthand for the midwest experience.

The end:
I had been spoiled about Zod gettin' killed and was sorta apprehensive, but the context paid out well and Supes' immediate and very emotional reaction helped smooth the way.

Oh man the fight in Smallville was incredible.  So good.  And, oh, Faora, *swoon*.

Jump to Post

06.18.2013 3:14am

Zubis
Registered Member

Faora's actress was the female lead in Pandorum, if you're looking to swoon again.

Jump to Post

06.18.2013 3:16am

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I knew I'd seen her before. Man she was smoking hot in that, too.

Jump to Post

06.18.2013 4:06am

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

Not that I care to see the movie at all or anything but I feel it's mandated by the gods that I should pop in here and announce that Diane Lane is absolutely delicious.

That is all.

Jump to Post

06.18.2013 10:00am

Soul Hunter
Ambitious but rubbish
Administrator

Indiana Jerico said:

Seriously, people lining up for IHop here was embarrassing.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

I've had my fill of IHOP back in California. The omelette was superb. But neither that nor any of the menu items warranted a line that long. People here can be ridiculous sometimes.

Oh, the movie! MAN OF STEEL was awesome. I agree with Raz about it being the best superhero movie since TDK (and TDKR).

Jump to Post

06.18.2013 10:01am

Soul Hunter
Ambitious but rubbish
Administrator

Crusader said:

Not that I care to see the movie at all or anything but I feel it's mandated by the gods that I should pop in here and announce that Diane Lane is absolutely delicious.

That is all.

Yes, this needs to be said. She'd have been the perfect Lois Lane 20 years ago. Even 10 years ago. Heck, even today!

Jump to Post

06.18.2013 10:12am

Soul Hunter
Ambitious but rubbish
Administrator

Id82 said:

I never understood why Superman needed a secret identity. It's not like anyone could do anything to him if they found out who he was.

Not all superheroes can instantly command a suit of armor to protect their loved ones when someone shoots missiles at them. And even with that ability it's still pretty boneheaded to announce to the world one's personal address.

(Which brings me to a nasty Iron Man 3 plot hole... but this isn't the right thread)

Jump to Post

06.18.2013 10:33am

The Hulk
Good Boy

I preferred this over TDK or TDKR.  Not BB though, that's probably still the best comic book movie overall (especially with it still feeling like a comic book movie which the other two don't).

Jump to Post

06.18.2013 7:48pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Colinp42 said:

Um, they have bacon and egg burgers. And unless you ask for it differently, their hamburger meat has bacon already in it as well. So there aint no shame in that! Although a couple pancakes makes a nice side - I especially love using the boysenberry syrup!

WHAT.  I find myself in desperate need of an IHOP.

Jump to Post

06.18.2013 9:58pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Enough with the I-HOP :P

I dislike one aspect of the ending, and all the writer/director talk about it is starting to annoy me.

Synder & co keep talking about how they wanted to find out where Superman's deep hated route of killing came from, so that's why they deemed it acceptable to kill Zod. I'm not okay with the implication that Superman needed to kill to never do it again.

Jump to Post

06.18.2013 11:09pm
 (Edited on 06.18.2013 at 11:40pm)

Cameron
Registered Member

I thought the action sequences in the second half were a little over the top and too CGI intensive. A lot of those sequences could have been pared down, and I felt that Zod's plan could have been written better so that it wasn't just a constant stream of destruction and CGI animation for 45 minutes. By the time we get to the final battle, the lead up has taken a lot of the fun out of it. 

I was also disappointed by the fact that Snyder was so proud of how realistic Superman's arrival would be, and the subsequent reaction from the people of Earth.  He went on and on about how this was what it would be like if a messiah alien really walked among us. They spent virtually no time at all showing us what that reaction would look like, and Clark's interactions with military personnel were pretty absurd.  If that's Snyder's take on reality, he's more than a little off base. 

Speaking of the military, why did we waste so much screentime on them? I felt like those scenes were giving the movie the Michael Bay Transformers treatment - Remember, humanity has heroes too, and they're America's soldiers!

I still enjoyed the movie, but Superman is easily my favorite comic character, so perhaps my expectations are a little too high. I felt like this was an effort to correct all of the mistakes from Superman Returns, and in that effort, they lost a little bit of heart, or something. 

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter