Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Man of Steel

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >

06.15.2013 5:23pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

First thing: I can't believe how the product placements almost ruined the movie for me. It's like it's telling you to shop at Sears, eat at I-Hop, and grab a snack at 7-Eleven.

I liked the movie but at the same time I am really pissed off at this movie. Unlike let's say The Avengers, which I think I like a little less than Man of Steel, but I was more neutral towards the movie.

I think it's because Man of Steel actually has a really good story. I liked the character driven parts as well as the origin story with the flashbacks of his past. The problem is the disconnect between the story and the action scenes. I already mentioned the product placements but the bigger problem is the lack of structure and coherence with the CG scenes. It's like I was watching two different movies. When watching Man of Steel I really felt it had a chance to be a great Superhero movie, it's just that things start falls apart once the action starts.

So I liked it but I don't love it and it's something that is regrettable. However I am looking forward to a sequel because the movie does have the right idea in place and I say it's goal to reintroduce Superman to a new generation and looking past the preconceived notion of Superman (from various movies and shows) has been quite successful. Hopefully they get a better director this time.

Jump to Post

06.15.2013 5:40pm

Zubis
Registered Member

I didn't know I-Hop was an actual company, but yeah the product placement was a little too much. The one that really got to my was the Nikon placement.

Jump to Post

06.15.2013 6:03pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

You don't have IHOP where you live?

Product placement is getting pretty annoying in movies these days...

Jump to Post

06.15.2013 6:08pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Zubis said:

I didn't know I-Hop was an actual company, but yeah the product placement was a little too much. The one that really got to my was the Nikon placement.

IHop is a chain of breakfast food restaurants. It's ok decent food I mean nothing great. Though when it first opened in my country there were like 40 min lines. Thankfully I ate IHop in Canada where the queue was like 4 seconds long :P 

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 12:55am

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

The best comic book movie since the Dark Knight.

That is all.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 1:43am

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

So far this year I enjoyed Iron Man 3 more only because I think Tony Stark is a more interesting character than Superman But I really did enjoy the depiction of superman in this film and the inner struggle with having to deal with his powers. It makes it easier to relate to him instead of how he was depicted in the last film as a Godly douche.

I'm predicting Lex Luthor for the next film.

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 2:05am

Zubis
Registered Member

kirbenvost said:

You don't have IHOP where you live?

I actually had to Wiki it. Turns out when I-HOP says it's International, it's referring to what it serves, not that it's an Interactional chain - actually asked a few Irish and UK friends on IRC and they never heard of it either.

Up until last year there wasn't a single presence outside the U.S - and even now the only other location it's in is the Middle-East.

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 9:28am

Magnus
Registered Member

Can anyone confirm that there is a post-credit scene?

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 12:08pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

I've heard multiple complaints from people who sat through the credits to find no extra scene.  No reason there should be one though.

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 3:24pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

The Hulk said:

I've heard multiple complaints from people who sat through the credits to find no extra scene.  No reason there should be one though.

I find it strange that people are expecting end credits since majority of movies do not have end credits scenes. Despite this being a comic book movie. 

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 3:57pm

judge_raz

After missing the post credits scene with Evil Dead, I always check the movie's wiki page in the lobby while the credits are rolling before leaving the theater.

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 5:41pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

shooter_mcgavin said:

IHop is a chain of breakfast food restaurants. It's ok decent food I mean nothing great. Though when it first opened in my country there were like 40 min lines. Thankfully I ate IHop in Canada where the queue was like 4 seconds long :P 

Seriously, people lining up for IHop here was embarrassing.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 9:09pm

judge_raz

Only times I see lines at iHop are on Sunday mornings when all the Christian folk are getting out of church.

It's fun to go there so you can see all the ridiculous shit people put on for church.

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 10:07pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

Just back from seeing it, thought it was pretty damn good after all.  There's room for improvement on characterisation and the like, but my god does it get the translation of comic book action to a real world setting just spot on.  To see Superman properly BRAWL like that in live action is something I've been waiting for pretty much my whole life.  One issue I have with the ending...
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
The whole "don a pair of glasses and nobody recognizes him" thing is probably more jarring here than any other Supes adaptation.  Lois is openly running around calling him "Clark" for most of the film, she takes the police TO HIS HOUSE and he even says to the general guy at the end "I grew up in Kansas"...I really thought they were just ditching the secret identity thing until he shows up looking more like Superman in daft specs than any other Clark Kent before him.  Dean Cain was more convincing as two people than this guy

(product placement wasn't that intrusive either, I thought)

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 11:28pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Fairly certain that

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
Lois knew? She's the best incarnation of Lois ever (for reasons I mentioned above), I thought that smile at the end indicated she knew. Eh. I guess it's movie tradition.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter