Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Man of Steel

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next >

05.22.2013 2:45pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Still way too angsty looking. Still way too many changes. Still way too many classic elements removed. Still so much garbage.

Jump to Post

05.22.2013 8:03pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

My heart says "fuck yes".

My head says "stfu heart, you know in the end it's gonna be cinematic dogshit"

Jump to Post

05.22.2013 10:02pm

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

Your head is dumb.

Listen to your heart. This movie is going to be amazing. Who knew, it looks like Snyder actually can make a good movie.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

05.22.2013 10:02pm

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

Was already a midnight show viewing for me.  That just makes the wait worse.  That looks like all kinds of fun.

Jump to Post

05.22.2013 10:04pm

Zubis
Registered Member

This is the Superman I grew up with. I'm there day one.

Jump to Post

05.22.2013 10:14pm

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

Areas said:

Was already a midnight show viewing for me.  That just makes the wait worse.  That looks like all kinds of fun.

Seriously!

I don't get the people who are talking about how it's angsty and too 'Nolan.' I think it treats the character seriously, which is what the Donner movies were lacking in. They were wonderful, make no doubt about it, but they didn't spend nearly enough time on what it really means to be one of the last of your kind. He's still going to grow up and become Superman!

Jump to Post

05.22.2013 10:33pm

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

judge_raz said:

Seriously!

I don't get the people who are talking about how it's angsty and too 'Nolan.' I think it treats the character seriously, which is what the Donner movies were lacking in. They were wonderful, make no doubt about it, but they didn't spend nearly enough time on what it really means to be one of the last of your kind. He's still going to grow up and become Superman!

Absolutely agree.  I'm also not one of those that gets angry when a movie's story isn't exactly like the source material, provided that it's still enjoyable. This is why I enjoyed the latest Star Trek. 
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
I don't care if it wasn't exactly like Wrath of Khan.

Jump to Post

05.22.2013 11:22pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

I am not at all enthused for this movie. I just don't have much enthusiasm for Superman or anything that they're trying to do with the character here and Snyder's track record is too mixed for me to want to give him the benefit of the doubt before I hear what other people are actually saying about it. So I'm waiting to hear friend reviews. Critcs loved Superman Returns, so I'm not going to give them much weight this time around.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

05.23.2013 8:05am

Old Juan
filled with hate

What it comes down to is that people just can't seem to get past the Donnor/Reeve films. Fact is those movies(at least the first two)were a snap shot in time and had a special magic that can't be recaptured again. Bryan Singer tried and the result was a very mixed movie at best and mediorce film at worst.

We need a departure from those films, something very different. A new interpretation and take on the character. It looks like Snyder and company have done just that. I'm looking foword to this film.

Jump to Post

06.12.2013 12:14pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Just got back to watching it. I like it, generally. The only thing I didn't like was when

Superman killed Zod

at the end. My girlfriend and I went, "What the hell, Goyer?!"

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

06.14.2013 4:29pm

injustice
digital christ

Not a Superman fan, but I have enjoyed stories involving him.
That being said the movie is amazing, I was blown away.
I never would have imagined that in a one year period I would hate a Batman movie, and love a Superman one.

Jump to Post

06.14.2013 5:03pm
 (Edited on 06.14.2013 at 5:13pm)

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

I really enjoyed it. Don't understand all of the negative reviews.

Jump to Post

06.14.2013 9:35pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Just back from it.

1. They actually managed to make some of the origin story interesting and fresh. Loved Russell Crowe in it, he did really well.
2. I felt that the pacing was a little off. Some of it's quite slow, but some of it is so fast and so action orientated you tend to get a bit tired.
3. But, speaking of action scenes, my god. Just...oh my god. This is the best depiction of Superman's powers, you really feel the Super. So many World of Cardboard scenes. I feel that this is the pinnacle of CG; it's about as close as we're going to get to realism. Honestly it's worth going for the last hour of the movie if nothing else, absolutely spectacular.
4. Amy Adams was great as Lois in it. It's the first time I ever felt she earned her Pulitzer. She's not a klutz and knows how to spell.

Jump to Post

06.15.2013 12:38am

Ramses
Registered Member

I liked it, but it has some major problems.
Clark letting his Dad die when he could have hid his powers during a freaking tornado. SUPERMAN KILLING! SUPERMAN letting his 2 hometowns be destroyed instead of fleeing to a safer location to fight. Obi-Wan...err Jor El riding a CG dragon with the Clone Wars... err the Krpyton civil war raging in the background. Krypton using the Matrix for birthing purposes. The dude from Law and Order looking constapated the whole film.

2011 FFO Fantasy Football Champion

Jump to Post

06.15.2013 4:31pm

Old Juan
filled with hate

Saw it last night.

It was good, but not great. I am in the camp with those who feel this movie has the best onscreen depiction of Superman's power. For the first time you really do get a sense of just how it would play out if two people with the similar powers decided to have a slugfest.

Henry Cavil was fine as Superman. I also thought his take on Clark as a conflicted individual trying to find his way and purpose worked as well.

Both Diane Lane and Kevin Costner were wonderful as Ma and Pa Kent. I really enjoyed the interactions between Henry Cavill and Diane Lane.

Russel Crowe was great as Jor-El.

Amy Adams and Lawrence Fishburne did fine as well.

Michael Shannon was awesome as Zod. I really lliked how they gave a much different spin on the character from the Donner version.

Other thoughts on the movie.

Pa Kent's death was dumb as hell. It made no logical sense. Clark could have easily used his powers, with the choas happening around, it could have easily been covered up or dismissed. It just doesn't work, in contrast the reason Pa Kents death in the original Donner film works is because it is from a natural cause it there is no way Clark could save him and it served as a humbling experience and taught him that as powerful as he is, he can't save everyone and there are things that even he can't change. That lesson is very important one. All Pa Kent's death accomplished here was to still more fear and guilt in Clark.

As far as Clark killing Zod goes...I can understand why a lot of Supeman fan's are going to have a big problem with it but from a writing perspective Goyer did set it up properly and really at the point in which it occurs, Clark really had no other choice and we do get a proper pay-off in his reaction to having done it. He is upset and horrified at having comitted what amounts to genocide at the end of the day. Because of that reaction, he'll probably never kill again. I was more upset over the films lack of concern over the lives that would have been lost as collateral damage due to Superman's fights against Zod and crew. At no point did we see Superman making even the slightest effort to take the battle elsewhere, even at the end of the film there's no mention at all of any kind of the civilian deaths that would absolutely have occured due to slugfest. That's were the movie really lost me because after what had occured, realistically Superman would have been been at least been held partly accountable for what had happened just due to his being there. I just don't buy that the world would be ready to embrace him, they'd really be telling him: "Ya, you may have saved us but your presense is what drew those psycho's to us in the first place, so could you kindly get the fuck off our planet and take your space cooties with you, thank you very much".

Hopefully the movie does well enough to get a sequel because despite my issues with the film, I am curious to see how the story would continue.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter