Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Man of Steel

< Prev 1 2 3 4 ... 8 Next >

12.12.2012 6:35pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

judge_raz said:

I dunno. I like Amy Adams, but I don't think she'll be able to bring the edge that Lois Lane has that makes her so attractive.

Have you seen The Fighter?  It's not like Adams only plays Disney princesses.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

12.13.2012 12:50am

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

Oh shit. That was her. Okay, yeah, she can pull off Lois Lane.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

12.13.2012 10:52am

OrionHardy
Otherworld

Catastrophe said:
Batman needed to be Nolanized. Superman...No. No. No.

I didn't get a Batman feel to that trailer, felt more like the X-men idea (with the entire will they except me thing)

Catastrophe said:
If we already know a character's origins story, do we really need to be told it again?!

Was the origin story brought up in Returns? If not we haven't seen an origin story from Superman on the Big Screen since 1978. 
I not counting Smallville or any of the Cartoons, since I get the feeling that there is alot of people that only watch Superhero Movies and none of the other material.

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

12.13.2012 2:33pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

OrionHardy said:

Was the origin story brought up in Returns? If not we haven't seen an origin story from Superman on the Big Screen since 1978.
I not counting Smallville or any of the Cartoons, since I get the feeling that there is alot of people that only watch Superhero Movies and none of the other material.

Okay I suppose you have me there, but I was mostly just talking in general.

Jump to Post

12.13.2012 5:52pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

wait so how did superman get his powers? lolz i'm 9 and a half years old so i dunno

Jump to Post

12.13.2012 6:47pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

You disgust me.  *haughty dismissal hand-wave*

Jump to Post

12.13.2012 7:11pm
Thread Creator

JSG
Registered Member

OrionHardy said:

It's actually really hard to keep track of that kind of thing, especially if you read comics.  You get sick of being constantly retold origin stories so much you can't even remember where you saw it last.  I can understand telling, say, Animal Man's origin story if they made a movie about him, but most superheroes that get to the big screen are iconic enough that you can devote a very small amount of time to it.

I didn't even realize Superman's origin hasn't been in a movie since then because I just keep seeing it everywhere else.

But really, his origin story has been done back in 1978.  Tell a different Superman story.  There are good ones that could be adapted into a movie but will probably be passed over for his origin story instead.  They do it with the DC animated features like Superman: Doomsday and Batman: Under the Red Hood, why can't they do it on the big screen?

Jump to Post

12.13.2012 7:33pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Well, if this works out, and Justice League works out, chances of SUPERMAN: NOT AN ORIGIN STORY happening are a lot higher.

Jump to Post

12.13.2012 7:36pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

I know the origin story from 1978 Superman (which in modern day is a really bad movie) and from Lois & Clark (where it was partly stated by the characters rather than shown, because the show began when Clark was already in Metropolis).  I'm all for a retelling, because this could easily become the definitive version of his origin for me.

Jump to Post

12.13.2012 8:03pm

judge_raz

...are you seriously saying that Donner's Superman is a bad movie? Are you seriously saying that?

Moving on. It seems that they're telling his origin over again because they're putting a new spin on it, that being Clark's difficulties that come with being special and different. The bit where Ma Kent is trying to help Clark cope with his hearing, and she tells him to find her voice is absolutely beautiful and is nearly all that we need to justify a new telling of the origin story.

Jump to Post

12.13.2012 8:32pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

judge_raz said:

...are you seriously saying that Donner's Superman is a bad movie? Are you seriously saying that?

Yeah. That's blasphemy. Heresy, I say! You want a bad Superman movie you look at II, III and IV. And by II, I mean the theatrical release. Not the Richard Donner cut.
-----

The other problem I have with Man of Steel is Superman himself, Henry Cavill. Granted I haven't seen enough of him to know whether or not he's a good enough actor to play Superman, but there's just something about the way he looks as Superman that just doesn't fit somehow.

Jump to Post

12.13.2012 8:43pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

I'm just getting sick of origins stories.

The trailer looks interesting at least, but it hasn't hooked me yet. Then again, most Superman movies rarely do.

Jump to Post

12.13.2012 11:19pm

judge_raz

Catastrophe said:

Yeah. That's blasphemy. Heresy, I say! You want a bad Superman movie you look at II, III and IV. And by II, I mean the theatrical release. Not the Richard Donner cut.
-----

The other problem I have with Man of Steel is Superman himself, Henry Cavill. Granted I haven't seen enough of him to know whether or not he's a good enough actor to play Superman, but there's just something about the way he looks as Superman that just doesn't fit somehow.

I love my Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut blu-ray so much. So very very much.

Jump to Post

12.14.2012 1:25am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

judge_raz said:

I am seriously saying that.

Jump to Post

12.14.2012 1:51am

judge_raz

Alright. Just making sure that you're positive in your being completely wrong. And I don't mean just a little wrong, or kind of wrong. I mean completely and utterly wrong.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 ... 8 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter