Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Prometheus

06.12.2012 12:31pm

Lucent
Dip Trip Flip Fantasia

I likely would have been willing to forgive this movie the majority of its plot-holes, except for one thing:

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
They tried so, so hard to make this movie tie in to the original, but at the very end we are denied the iconic shot of the Engineer dead in the chair with his chest open. Are we to infer that LV223 and LV426 both had similar "outbreak" incidents happen on them? Are we to infer that the distress signal picked up by the Nostromo in Alien is Shaw's warning?

Why decide to do a "maybe prequel" on another planet in the same system with almost the same story arc, have almost the same perceived things happen, only to deny the very iconic shot that inspired the imaginations of people who saw Alien?

It's all so very confusing.

Jump to Post

06.12.2012 3:41pm

Murasame
HALE YEAH

A longer cut would be horrible. Or possibly excellent. It feels both like the movie was lacking (particularly when it came to character development) and also, over saturated when it came to what was going on. There's a lot of erroneous plot lines, there's a lot of inconsistency with characterisation, the entire scene that exposed the fact that Ripley2.0 (who made the last act almost worth it) was
incapable of having children
was not only out of character, but unnecessary. A single sentence later on would have explained everything, and wouldn't have made Ripley2.0's
boyfriend seem like such a douche. So maybe, just maybe, you would have cared that he died. Because I honestly didn't care. He was an asshole and was entirely unlikeable.
The dramatic pause before Vickers said the word
father
was also erroneous because, Jesus Fucking Christ, if you didn't pick that up from literally everything else in the conversation, fuck you.

Everything between Ripley2.0 and David Fassybender Robot was excellent, and I think this is one of the few movies I can excuse a crazy final act, because, Jesus, the first act was awful.

Oh, and the last minute of the movie? What the fuck was that? I'd almost say the same of the first couple of minutes of the movie.

Jump to Post

06.12.2012 4:46pm

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

Saw it. Liked it for all the reasons people here mentioned. Didn't like it for all the reasons people here mentioned. A very conflicted experience for me. I will say the two things that really bogged down my enjoyment of the movie were how stupid all these "scientists" acted throughout the movie, and how unscientific the sci-fi was. I mean, it's called sci-fi for a reason. There's supposed to be a feasibility factor here. I can't ignore things that just don't work.

The biggest thing I had a problem with was the entire premise of the movie. Why are humans going to this world at all? Who in their right mind, in this day and age, honestly believes we would send living, breathing humans to another world before we send so much as a passing probe? Especially when we apparently have androids that are more than capable of doing what needs done? You send a probe first. You send an orbiting satellite next. You send an army of pods, stations, rovers, and robots(or androids) after that. And then, maybe you send a couple humans, waaay down the line. And you do all this with the entire world behind you. You don't just let one guy with deep pockets do something like this. The world wouldn't allow one rogue man to speak for the entire human race on a matter of this magnitude.

And where's the goddamned awe? This is a Contact moment here. Human beings, for the first time in history have proof of other life in the universe, other intelligent life in the universe, other superior intelligent life in the universe, other superior intelligent life in the universe that has visited us in the past and possibly shaped who we are. Not one single person in the entire movie gives any indication that they are aware of the true weight of this momentous occasion, that they are emissaries for their entire race, that the most historic moment of all time is taking place around them, through them. Everyone in the movie acts as if they're just poking around some lost ruins in South America or something. The only two people with any semblance of the appropriate fervor are the husband and wife archeologists, and even they are far more subdued than any realistic human being would be in this situation. I would go so far as to say the android is the only character in this movie who acts realistically.  At least he has a reason for his total lack of appreciation of the things happening around him.

I liked this movie, it was very entertaining and had quite a few deep/awesome/creepy moments, but as far as being a good sci-fi movie? It's one of the worst I've ever seen. The Core is more believable than the people, places, and events in this movie.

Jump to Post

06.12.2012 6:33pm

Lexx
Terran Angel

Free Spirit said:

The Core is more believable than the people, places, and events in this movie.

Damn!  A greater insult I could not imagine.

Jump to Post

06.12.2012 8:06pm

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

That is probably the worst argument that could be brought to the table of discussion on a SCIENCE FICTION MOVIE.

Jesus Christ. Do we argue about the implausibility of the events and places in the Star Wars Trilogy?

I agree that there are more than a few decisions made by the human crew on the Prometheus that leave me scratching my head, but using the 'unbelievable' card on a genre that is entirely based on the unbelievable is just beyond ludicrous.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

06.12.2012 11:22pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Jump to Post

06.12.2012 11:33pm

Zophycakes
I'M FROM THE INTERNETTTT
Administrator

From SuperMechaGodzilla on SomethingAwful:
Well let's get down to brass tacks: this film is hilarious.

Guy Pearce in an old man suit appears out of nowhere, says "i want immortality," and then gets bludgeoned to death with Michael Fassbender's still-conscious severed head. This is funny. No, it's the funniest film I've seen in theatres since District 9.

Weyland's death is a stock ironic comeuppance played for extreme camp. The film glosses over it because it know that this is a trope. The glib speed with which it dismisses the search for immortality is the same with which it dismisses all the other characters' motivations. Dude say he wants money? DIES. Dude says he wants friendship? DIES. These aren't random deaths. They are equated by this same tone and attitude. Humans are stupid and die because they're stupid.

David reads Liz Shaw's dreams and then tells her straight up: you are a shallow character. Her dream looks like a hallmark card. "Your entire motivation is that you're infertile and your dad died of Ebola. I just summarized it in two sentences." The moral: robots don't have souls, and neither do people. But the robot is smarter because he understands this. If you've seen Blade Runner, you know what the warm-toned recording of the dream of a happy family means. It means she's a replicant.

"It's a quote from a movie I like."

Look at the specific quote from Lawrence of Arabia: 'the trick is not minding that it hurts'. David's character feels everything the humans feel, but he doesn't mind it. He's built up his ironic distance, he constructs his own identity and puts on an incredibly campy performance. The whole film aligns with his POV. As I said in general chat, Prometheus is a masterpiece of straight-faced camp.

The very first shot is quoted from 2001 (it's a quote from a movie I like). Prometheus is transparently Scott's grand statement on Science Fiction as a genre. It's not 'hard' science fiction. It's "Science Fiction", deeply embedded in quotation marks. The Prometheus/Pandora myth is like Scifi 101, first day of class. It's THE example of mythological proto-scifi. It's referenced in Frankenstein, the first piece of Science-Fiction literature. Alien references it. The films that Alien references reference it. The films that reference Alien reference it.

So the characters fly into space seeking all the answers to their questions, and what do they find? A rational, promethan man locked in an unending struggle against a irrational, pandoric vagina monster. Just slapping against eachother until there is a literal, onscreen shuddering climax and postcoital release. Again: this is funny! You can imagine people staring at this scene and saying "hmm... what does this all mean?" Or, better yet: "how did the squid monster grow so big without a food source?" - just angrily looking for logical clues in this prolonged sequence of a vagina and penis locked in combat. 

Scott's grand statement on sci-fi is to issue a moratorium. The point of Prometheus is that these stories pretty much always boil down to the same basic archetypal conflict. The humans are painfully mundane - they are all artificial. Only David sees through the guise and understands that he's a character in a movie. This is a loving ode to gleefully bad sci-fi.

Important scene: Naomi Rapace looks at some bleeps and bloops on a screen. Two bar graphs allign. "This is it," she cries. "This is everything!" We cut back to the bar graph, and watch it bleep and bloop a while longer. Wow, what an impressive bar graph. Next scene, it turns out she just wants to get fucked. 

There are two distinct scenes in the film of wacky dames who just need a good deep-dicking. One gets an abortion, the other crushed by a huge black protuberance. A guy smokes pot and then dies instantly. This is Friday the 13th logic. The class conflict in Alien is notably absent. All these people are rich idiots, so we're not supposed to cheer for them. Idris Elba, the closest thing to a 'lower class' character puts on a Southern Accent, says YEEHAW! and rockets his ship into a wall to save the day. Michael Bay would give an approving nod. 

Why is there a zombie scene? Because it's wonderful slapstick. He gets shot like fifty times and his head gets run over. I couldn't stop laughing. But more importantly, the 'zombie' exists to shows us what Charlie was turning into. For a second, I though it was Charlie, back from the dead. Again, this treats the characters as slightly interchangable.

There are at least two shots lifted straight from Luigi Cozzi's (in)famous Italian Alien ripoff Contamination

Prometheus owns.

Jump to Post

06.13.2012 6:04am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Damn, I was just coming here to post that Red Letter Media video. I agree with pretty much all the points they made in their full length review as well.

Jump to Post

06.13.2012 8:34am
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

When Penny Arcade does a comic on an issue in your movie you know you have problems.

https://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/06/13

Jump to Post

06.13.2012 3:36pm

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

judge_raz said:

That is probably the worst argument that could be brought to the table of discussion on a SCIENCE FICTION MOVIE.

Jesus Christ. Do we argue about the implausibility of the events and places in the Star Wars Trilogy?

I agree that there are more than a few decisions made by the human crew on the Prometheus that leave me scratching my head, but using the 'unbelievable' card on a genre that is entirely based on the unbelievable is just beyond ludicrous.

Fantasy is about the unbelievable and the implausible.  Sci-fi is specifically about the believable and plausible.   It's the very definition of the genre.  Star Wars is a bad example.  It's a blending of fantasy and sci-fi, more  like the newer Final Fantasies than a real sci-fi movie.  Besides, Star Wars is a sci-fi story that is about a story, not about the sci-fi.  There's a difference between that and Prometheus, where the sci-fi elements and questions are the things that drive the story.  Star Wars is a movie that happens to take place in a futuristic setting.  Prometheus is a movie about a futuristic setting.

Look at it this way - when watching Star Wars are you on the edge of your seat, waiting to see how hyperdrive works, what the true nature of the force is, whether robots really think and have feelings, why technology doesn't seem to progress even over thousands of years, where did all the humans come from, which galaxy far, far away is this, and how far back in time is it?  No.  These are questions that could be asked, if that's what Star Wars was about.  But it's about the story, the characters, the struggle between the good guys and the bad guys.  Nobody cares about that other stuff. Nobody even thinks to ask those questions while watching the movie, because the way the movie is set up, we don't want to ask those questions, we don't need to know any of that stuff to understand and appreciate the movie.  They're not the point of the movie. Prometheus, however, does focus on questions like that.  They're the basis for the movie, they're why we keep watching, hoping things will be explained, hoping questions will be answered, and hoping the things that just don't make any damn sense logically will turn out to have a logical explanation after all.  It fails on all those accounts. 

Really I can sum up all my anger at the movie's bad sci-fi with the problem of the premise again. The Prometheus going straight to LV223 with humans without any sort of preliminary investigation and no backing by the entire world, and no attempt to explain why there is no preliminaries or global effort is apalling to me.  It is an archaic way of thinking from a hundred years ago, and science has progressed past that point.  Sci-fi can't just ignore already established scientific method, without a reason.  Sci-fi is about pushing the envelope, using what we already know and going further, or at the very least deconstructing what we already know. The Prometheus flying off to an unknown world the way it did is literally the same as the crew being fired by giant cannon into the eye of a cheese-covered LV223.  It's that bad to me.

But I still like the movie, so make of that what you will.

Oh, and I loved the Red Letter Media video.  That's exactly how I felt walking out of the theater, and exactly what I was doing as I drove home. I wish that thing was an hour longer.

Jump to Post

06.13.2012 4:08pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Sci-Fi really isn't about the believable and plausible, though. Not the genre as a whole anyway. Certain subgenes and parts of the genre are, like mundane sci-fi (which, honestly is pretty boring IMO), but things like time travel and faster-than-light travel are scientifically implausible. Hell, by that definition any movie or TV show with sound effects for those pew pew space battles is bad scifi because sound does not carry in space.

Jump to Post

06.13.2012 4:37pm

Zophycakes
I'M FROM THE INTERNETTTT
Administrator

Free Spirit said:

Fantasy is about the unbelievable and the implausible.  Sci-fi is specifically about the believable and plausible.   It's the very definition of the genre.  Star Wars is a bad example.  It's a blending of fantasy and sci-fi, more  like the newer Final Fantasies than a real sci-fi movie.  Besides, Star Wars is a sci-fi story that is about a story, not about the sci-fi.  There's a difference between that and Prometheus, where the sci-fi elements and questions are the things that drive the story.  Star Wars is a movie that happens to take place in a futuristic setting.  Prometheus is a movie about a futuristic setting.

Look at it this way - when watching Star Wars are you on the edge of your seat, waiting to see how hyperdrive works, what the true nature of the force is, whether robots really think and have feelings, why technology doesn't seem to progress even over thousands of years, where did all the humans come from, which galaxy far, far away is this, and how far back in time is it?  No.  These are questions that could be asked, if that's what Star Wars was about.  But it's about the story, the characters, the struggle between the good guys and the bad guys.  Nobody cares about that other stuff. Nobody even thinks to ask those questions while watching the movie, because the way the movie is set up, we don't want to ask those questions, we don't need to know any of that stuff to understand and appreciate the movie.  They're not the point of the movie. Prometheus, however, does focus on questions like that.  They're the basis for the movie, they're why we keep watching, hoping things will be explained, hoping questions will be answered, and hoping the things that just don't make any damn sense logically will turn out to have a logical explanation after all.  It fails on all those accounts. 

Really I can sum up all my anger at the movie's bad sci-fi with the problem of the premise again. The Prometheus going straight to LV223 with humans without any sort of preliminary investigation and no backing by the entire world, and no attempt to explain why there is no preliminaries or global effort is apalling to me.  It is an archaic way of thinking from a hundred years ago, and science has progressed past that point.  Sci-fi can't just ignore already established scientific method, without a reason.  Sci-fi is about pushing the envelope, using what we already know and going further, or at the very least deconstructing what we already know. The Prometheus flying off to an unknown world the way it did is literally the same as the crew being fired by giant cannon into the eye of a cheese-covered LV223.  It's that bad to me.

But I still like the movie, so make of that what you will.

Oh, and I loved the Red Letter Media video.  That's exactly how I felt walking out of the theater, and exactly what I was doing as I drove home. I wish that thing was an hour longer.

Protip: Promethus is a fantasy film :O

Jump to Post

06.13.2012 6:40pm

Murasame
HALE YEAH

Please. Please don't do the Margaret Atwood high-horse thing. It's not a thing. Genre is the casual/hardcore separation of the narrative world, and it is fucking stupid.

Jump to Post

06.13.2012 10:11pm

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

Zophycakes said:

Protip: Promethus is a fantasy film :O

Well then it's a bad fantasy film instead of a bad sci-fi film because it makes me want explanations for things that are better left unexplained in fantasy stories.  If I go into a  "fantasy"  movie and it turns out my biggest interest is in knowing how and why the magic tricks work, that's a bad sign. I'm not supposed to care how the tricks work, I'm just supposed to enjoy the spectacle.

Whether the movie is a fantasy/sci-fi or whatever, the genre doesn't matter.  I went into the movie, and watching it I had certain expectations of what it was going to deliver, based on how it presented itself.  It didn't deliver on those fronts, and I was disappoint.

And there's nothing overly  implausible about FTL or time-travel.  Difficult, yes, impossibe at our current levels of technology and scientific understanding, yes, but there are a plethora of scientific theories dealing with how it might be scientifically possible to do both of those things. Typically, the schism between using FTL and not using FTL is one of the things that separates "hard" sci-fi from "soft" sci-fi.  I don't really care about that difference though.  I like both. To me, if there is any sort of current scientific theory that can make an idea plausible, it's fertile ground for sci-fi stories.

But really, I don't care about how the ship travels as fast as it does in Prometheus.  That's one of the sci-fi elements they did right and that I didn't have any problem with.  How the ship travels as fast as it does is never brought up as a relevant plot-point, and thus the audience is not bothered by its lack of explanation.  It just is.  It's all the plot points that were brought up and didn't gel that bothered me.

Jump to Post

06.13.2012 10:26pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Maybe something will come along in the future, but as long as the theory of relativity is still relevant, FTL travel is outright impossible.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter