Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Star Trek Into Darkness: KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN?

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 7 Next >

12.06.2012 11:38pm
Thread Creator

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

So this happened. I don't know what to make of it really. The IMDB page has Sherlock Holmes himself as the one rumoured to play Khan.

Could it be Khan? A lot of people seem to be hoping it is. A friend also brought up the possibilty of Gary Mitchell, which seems a bit more likely to me, and fits a bit better with the trailer.

What say you?

Jump to Post

12.07.2012 12:18am
 (Edited on 12.07.2012 at 12:24am)

Lexx
Terran Angel

I hate to be "that guy", but I'm not sure how I feel about that trailer.  On the one hand, I'm glad that Trek is alive instead of still being Enterprise's rotten corpse soaked with Rick Berman and Brannon Braga's piss.  But on the other...this isn't the Trek that filled me with wonder as a child.  This isn't the Trek that taught me reason, curiosity and understanding were the most important values one could have.  Star Trek: The Next Generation was both exciting AND inspiring.  This just looks like a cool action movie.

Regading Cumberbatch, I for one hope he's Gary Mitchell.  When everyone was thinking up sequel ideas, I thought that "Where No Man Has Gone Before" would make for a good one.  A huge part of what makes Khan great is Montalban's hammy acting.  Having a competent actor playing him would be weird.  Not to mention having a pasty Englishman playing an Indian supersoldier would be odd, as well.

Jump to Post

12.07.2012 1:03am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I'm going to wait to pass judgment until we have an actual trailer instead of a trailer for a trailer.

Jump to Post

12.07.2012 2:41am

Crisium
N/A

Lexx said:

I hate to be "that guy", but I'm not sure how I feel about that trailer.  On the one hand, I'm glad that Trek is alive instead of still being Enterprise's rotten corpse soaked with Rick Berman and Brannon Braga's piss.  But on the other...this isn't the Trek that filled me with wonder as a child.  This isn't the Trek that taught me reason, curiosity and understanding were the most important values one could have.  Star Trek: The Next Generation was both exciting AND inspiring.  This just looks like a cool action movie.

Redlettermedia brought up this very point in their review of Star Trek.  It's a genuinely good action movie.  But the sci-fi elements are only on the surface and cannot compare to the golden oldies.  Unfortunately, I'm expecting more of the same.  I'm not hating on action movies, but you can do both action and legitimate Sci-Fi.

No Khan please.  Leave him to his episode and movie from many decades ago.  Although I could see the return of the Genesis plot, say to give the suvivors of the Vulcan genocide a place to call home (though I doubt they will do much with the Vulcan genocide, let alone this), you can do a good tribute to ST2's style with another character.

Jump to Post

12.07.2012 2:46am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Onyx said:

I'm going to wait to pass judgment until we have an actual trailer instead of a trailer for a trailer.

To be fair, at least this shows something.  Some of the teasers that come out, I have to wonder what the point is.

The thing is, I liked the last one, but not as much as a lot of people.  What they're showing looks fine to me, but my interest is more based on the fairly modest expectations set by Star Trek (XI).  So...I'll wait to see how reviews go.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

12.07.2012 3:33am

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

I doubt it'll be Khan. The rumor that it's Gary Mitchell would not only make more sense, but be awesome.

I wonder of the blonde chick is Carol Marcus.

I made this for you!

Jump to Post

12.07.2012 3:47am
 (Edited on 12.07.2012 at 4:00am)

Zubis
Registered Member

Unless they're trying to fool us, she appears to be Gary Mitchell's assistant from "Where No Man Has Gone Before", Elizabeth Dehner.

Place your bets on:

• Elizabeth Dehner
  • Carol Marcus
  • Nurse Chapel

Mitchell was already set up in the new Star Trek comics apparently.

God Star Trek fans (the old ones) need to let go, seriously. I've read dozen of "wtf the Enterprise isn't waterproof" comments online already.

Jump to Post

12.07.2012 4:01am

Old Juan
filled with hate

I didn't think the teaser was anything to get excited over. It plays just like every other teaser in existence. I think I'll wait for the full theatrical trailer.

Jump to Post

12.07.2012 4:43am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I really hope the villain is Gary Mitchell. I'd love to see a modern take on "Where No Man Has Gone Before." It was a great idea for an episode, just kinda lousy in execution since it was the second pilot.

Really, anything but a Khan retread.

Redlettermedia brought up this very point in their review of Star Trek.  It's a genuinely good action movie.  But the sci-fi elements are only on the surface and cannot compare to the golden oldies.  Unfortunately, I'm expecting more of the same.  I'm not hating on action movies, but you can do both action and legitimate Sci-Fi.

The original Star Trek was never hard sci-fi. It was mostly a space opera that used gibberish science-y language to sound smarter than it really was. The closest Trek as a franchise ever got to hard sci-fi was Next Gen, and even then you had the Q, giant space blobs, the Traveler, and weird shit like Geordi becoming the Lizard King. The series were fantastic character dramas that explored a lot of important social issues Iwhich is a very important and IMO undervalued facet of sci-fi), but the technology was always in the background compared to the characters.

Jump to Post

12.07.2012 12:35pm

Crisium
N/A

Right - even though I didn't say it, I agree that it's the social issues that make me consider it Sci-Fi, as that is what Sci-Fi really is to me.  The new ST has a chance to do this, for example with what happened to Vulcans, but we will see.

Jump to Post

12.07.2012 2:47pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

I really liked the ST reboot, even though I strongly felt the whole thing was unnecessary. Let the dead stay dead, and all that.

'Into Darkness'....yeeeah...I'm not sure yet. I'd have to see more to form a better opinion on it. I mean, it looks okay but yeah, it's like they sapped all the Star Trek out of it and it's just a futuristic action movie.

Also, I'm praying and praying that the villain is NOT Khan. Khan's been done and nothing will ever top Ricardo Montalban and 'The Wrath of Khan'. Although most of the clues point to Cumberbatch's character being Gary Mitchell, which is alright by me. I mean, for one thing, why would Khan be wearing a shirt that had the Federation's insignia on it*?

(*Note: I'm no TOS expert, except for the movies so feel free to correct me if I'm ever wrong :P)

Jump to Post

12.07.2012 4:34pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

To be fair, none of the old Trek movies really delved into social issues either. You had the Cold War ending parallel in Undiscovered Country and the environmentalist message in the Voyage Home, but that's about it.

Jump to Post

12.07.2012 4:40pm

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

Zubis said:

Unless they're trying to fool us, she appears to be Gary Mitchell's assistant from "Where No Man Has Gone Before", Elizabeth Dehner.

Wow, makeup/styling nowadays really sucks.

Also, I don't get any "trek" vibes from this, just seems like an action movie with trek stuff peppered here and there.

Rinoa.Nu

Jump to Post

12.08.2012 6:19pm

shadowphoenix
It all ends with beginnings...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgBFz9-rAS0

Same teaser with something interesting at the end...

Jump to Post

12.11.2012 4:15pm

Zubis
Registered Member

https://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=97940

one mystery was officially revealed: Alice Eve's role is that of Carol Marcus.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 7 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter