Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Star Trek Into Darkness: KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN?

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Next >

05.12.2013 5:41am

Ramses
Registered Member

Just think this Abrams hack has killed Star Trek, and now Disney is letting him kill off Star Wars.  Is nothing sacred?

2011 FFO Fantasy Football Champion

Jump to Post

05.13.2013 3:01pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Technically speaking, Abrams has reaffirmed several times that he wasn't a Star Trek fan before being brought on board for the reboot. And he has also admitted that he has always been a Star Wars fan. So there's that.

Jump to Post

05.13.2013 4:03pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

Star Trek was already dead anyway.  JJ has just raised it as some kind of twisted zombie creature.

Jump to Post

05.13.2013 5:27pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

So you want more movies like Insurrection?

The "real" Star Trek was its own cause of death way before Abrams got involved.

Jump to Post

05.13.2013 5:28pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

I blame Enterprise, personally.

Jump to Post

05.13.2013 5:38pm

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

Rick Berman and Brannon Braga are better targets of your blame.  They're the ones who shat all over Voyager and Enterprise.

For that matter, Roddenberry himself was a shitty creator.  The best Star Trek came when they kicked his ass out of the big chair and hired competent people to write, direct, and produce.

Jump to Post

05.13.2013 7:09pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Southern Comfort said:

Rick Berman and Brannon Braga are better targets of your blame.  They're the ones who shat all over Voyager and Enterprise.

For that matter, Roddenberry himself was a shitty creator.  The best Star Trek came when they kicked his ass out of the big chair and hired competent people to write, direct, and produce.

Then those people went to create the remake for Battlestar Galattica

Jump to Post

05.14.2013 12:24am

Vyers
Dark Adonis

It's interesting reading this topic now for the first time after seeing the movie, then watching the trailers, then reading your theories.

I think this is probably the only movie I've seen in my life where I felt I would enjoy it more if I knew less about the source material.

I thought the level of callbacks and references were stupid, but this IS coming from someone who never liked TOS...

Most glaring in my mind is that:

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
Calling old Spock to look at the script was fucking cheating

But I would happily watch a sequel/spin-off movie called "Benedict Cumberbatch punches bitches for 90 minutes".

Ramses said:

Just think this Abrams hack has killed Star Trek, and now Disney is letting him kill off Star Wars.  Is nothing sacred?

Deep down I'm hoping you're being ironic.

Jump to Post

05.14.2013 1:22am

Zubis
Registered Member

CaButler said:

Then those people went to create the remake for Battlestar Galattica

I always loved that BSG was born out of Ron Moore questioning how many shuttles did Voyager lose over the course of its run (13), and his desire to make a show where it would be terrifying to actually loose one.

Jump to Post

05.14.2013 2:17am

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

I'll give Ron Moore infinite leeway, because IMO he created the absolute best Star Trek out there.

(Brannon/Braga had nothing to do with the BSG reboot, IIRC.)

Jump to Post

05.14.2013 2:36am

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

DS9 and BSG reboot 4 lief, yo.

That said, without even seeing the new one, I'd still gladly trade in both Abrams Trek movies for a fifth season of Enterprise.

Jump to Post

05.14.2013 8:07pm

Vyers
Dark Adonis

Zubis said:

Just to elaborate on how bad the scene is

Half way through the movie Khan and Kirk are in sickbay having an argument. To change the subject Kirk glances over at McCoy, who's working on a dead tribble.

"What are you working on Bones?"
"Applying Khan's blood to a dead tribble's necrotised flesh."

At the end of the movie just after Kirk dies, said tribble comes back to life. I actually facepalmed in the theatre.

Star Trek has become science fantasy, not fiction. If you're not okay with the idea odds are you'll hate the movie. I still think it's worth going to see though, and may go again.

It's worth pointing out that this was actually set up from the very beginning of the movie with Mickey from Doctor Who and his dying daughter.

Jump to Post

05.14.2013 8:50pm

Zubis
Registered Member

I caught that too, but it makes things even worse because instead of Bones

casually going through the logs and realising that the dying daughter isn't dying anymore, and then having a Eureka moment, they insult the audiences intelligence *twice* explaining it.

Jump to Post

05.14.2013 9:10pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Star Trek was always science fantasy. Dilithium crystals anyone?

Jump to Post

05.16.2013 5:14am

Lexx
Terran Angel

Not to mention, "traveling exponentially faster than light, but somehow being slow enough that you only close the distance between Earth and the sun and swing around, causes you to time travel".

Star Trek has been science fantasy for a long, long time.

I loved Star Trek Into Darkness, btw.  Earth has never looked better in Trek.

Was that Praxis sticking off the side of Kronos?

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter