Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Final Fantasy XV Trailer

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >

06.14.2013 7:00pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

lulz.... as much as I like some musicals, that would have been ridiculous.  But...not a lot more over the top than the games already are, I suppose.

Jump to Post

06.14.2013 7:16pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

That would have been pretty awesome if pulled off right.  Does a musical/video game even exist?

Jump to Post

06.14.2013 7:40pm

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

parappa the rapper

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

06.14.2013 7:45pm

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

Rhapsody.

Jump to Post

06.14.2013 7:51pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Definitely Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure; a good number of the cutscenes are full-blown musical numbers.

Jump to Post

06.14.2013 9:42pm

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

Theatrhythm?

And Nomura needs to stop watching so many movies and start actually playing games. I can't believe the guy doesn't even play video games because he feels he should leave work at work. I appreciate his love of movies, but if you make video games for a living, shouldn't you have some idea of how real video games play besides the one you're making? I mean, any good writer will tell you "READ MOAR", any good musician will tell you they listen to tons of different kinds of music, any good moviemaker will tell you they study other people's movies with a fine tooth comb, good artists make a habit of analyzing the styles and methods of other great artists. Perhaps that's why video games almost universally suck compared to other artistic mediums - the people making them don't actually play video games at all or understand how to combine all that separate talent into a combined, interactive whole that is more than the sum of its artistic parts.  Sure, the music is sometimes great. Sure, the visuals are sometimes great. Sure, the stories are sometimes great. Sure the gameplay itself is sometimes very fun and engaging. But I don't think I've ever played a game that applied all that to an interactive medium and created something unified that could really be considered a true work of video game art, except perhaps Shadow of the Colossus, and that should have just been the tip of the iceberg, a gateway to whole new levels of interactive, multi-media art.  Anyways, enough sweeping generalizations - FFXV looks great and maybe Nomura will prove me wrong with it. If not, X certainly is looking nice.

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 5:26am

Seelas
I want to go back.

Free SpiritPerhaps that's why video games almost universally suck compared to other artistic mediums - the people making them don't actually play video games at all
This is, uh, not accurate at all.

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 7:34am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Music beat rhytym games don't really count, they aren't structured like musical musicals. Rhapsody, that sounds right! Never got a chance to play it though. Maybe I will...

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 12:13pm

Kal
yes

Well, if the intention was FFVI opera, then sure, great idea.

If they were aiming for Kingdom Hearts 2 Little Mermaid world though. FUCK NO.

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 1:12pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Free Spirit said:

Theatrhythm?

I can't believe the guy doesn't even play video games because he feels he should leave work at work.

Given the Japanese working week of what, 70, 80 hours? I can understand why after coming home at 9pm he doesn't want to play games all night.

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 4:16pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Seelas said:

This is, uh, not accurate at all.

Yeah, that's kind of a broad sweeping generalization. Though it probably holds up more in Japan due to their corporate culture. But I can't think of many developers that DON'T love playing video games based out of NA and Europe.

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 5:43pm

shadowphoenix
It all ends with beginnings...

Dr Squirrel said:

parappa the rapper
Don't get cocky, it's gonna get rocky....

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 7:35pm

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

Free Spirit said:

Perhaps that's why video games almost universally suck compared to other artistic mediums - the people making them don't actually play video games at all or understand how to combine all that separate talent into a combined, interactive whole that is more than the sum of its artistic parts.  Sure, the music is sometimes great. Sure, the visuals are sometimes great. Sure, the stories are sometimes great. Sure the gameplay itself is sometimes very fun and engaging. But I don't think I've ever played a game that applied all that to an interactive medium and created something unified that could really be considered a true work of video game art, except perhaps Shadow of the Colossus, and that should have just been the tip of the iceberg, a gateway to whole new levels of interactive, multi-media art.
Free Spirit I respect you greatly, but I think you are operating on a false pretense that the artistic goals set out by movies and books and music are achieved.  Video Games are maturing as a medium and some truly great games have been made.  Meanwhile Michael Bay is making movies and Bill O'Reilly is writing books, so don't shit on video games just because they aren't living up to Citizen Kane.  The movie industry isn't.  Most books aren't To Kill a Mocking Bird either, and not every album is The Suburbs, and meanwhile your generalization that a good band will listen to lots of music doesn't include the fact that they probably watch movies and read books, and if they don't they ought to.  Consuming good art is almost universally good regardless of medium.

I wish Nomura played games more too but he's not the reason FF sucks, and his offering looks good right now.  Seriously, ideas like this get bounced around all the time.  Let's not forget that Shiggy Miyamoto wanted Ocarina of Time to be a Western at one point, with the Master Sword being a mythical six-shooter.

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 7:48pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Let's not forget that Shiggy Miyamoto wanted Ocarina of Time to be a Western at one point, with the Master Sword being a mythical six-shooter.

ngl, I probably would've played the shit out of that game and like it even more than OOT.

Jump to Post

06.16.2013 9:02pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Onyx said:

Yeah, that's kind of a broad sweeping generalization. Though it probably holds up more in Japan due to their corporate culture. But I can't think of many developers that DON'T love playing video games based out of NA and Europe.

Yeah. I remember a Sakaguchi saying that he loves Gears of War and even plays it with his colleauges at Mistwalker. So I am sure there are a number of Japanese Developers that are fond of western games. Heck the people who did Dragon Quest were inspired by Ultima.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter