Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Is there some excitement left for a new Final Fantasy?

< Prev 1 2 3 4 ... 12 Next >

09.23.2012 10:50am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Ashilyn said:

Serious question. because I've been curious for a while: Why are people so hung up on world maps? What do they actually add to the game besides a sense of nostalgia?

I honeslty don't understand it. It was a convention borne of hardware limitations, and I definitely don't mind not having boring, zoomed out traditional maps. I like walking form place to place, and getting a sense of the world, seeing cool vistas, and getting to better see it's inhabitants. A map for stuff like quick travel or something would be fine, but I'd rather not revert to the 32/16 bit era style world maps, personally. That's not to say I want everything to be FFXII, because the size of some of those maps was just stupid, but I think it and FFX are a step in a better direction than old school world maps.

So, I'm serious, what is it people like about them? What do they add to the game that I'm missing? Why, when we rally against things like random encounters and save points, are world maps the old, outdated design convention that we're holding sacred?

One of the things that excited me the most in old FFs was when I finally get to have the airship. You know why? Because I can finally explore the world at will and every little bump and every little deviation in the landscape might mean a little secret or Easter Egg hidden away. It's the anticipation that makes you giddy. When I landed on that peninsula in FFVII to discover a cave that eventually led to (I think) Quadra materia, I was fucking ecstatic.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

09.23.2012 3:22pm

Zubis
Registered Member

I was always amused that people missed world maps, but claimed they didn't like WRPGs because the world is too open. Oh well.

Jump to Post

09.23.2012 3:31pm
 (Edited on 09.23.2012 at 3:38pm)

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

One bad game in the main series isn't going to ruin the franchise or have me completley turn againts it (ok there was also FFXIV but I haven't played it so I can overlook that). So yes I will still be excitied for FFXV depending on the direction of the series though, considering how long it took for FFXIII to come out, I would say FFXV is going to be the make it or break it game for the series.

I guess what frustrates me about the franchise now is how they had a pot of gold in the previous generation and turned it into dirt. Now I know game development is a tough job but how hard is it for the company and developers to really f*** up the development of FFXIII and make boneheaded decisions in the game like no world map, a story that requires you to read a codex to probably understand it, and the game's corridor like setting. Look at these problems it's like a checklist of how not to do a Final Fantasy game (which isn't even a POV based on hindsight) . 

Jump to Post

09.23.2012 3:51pm
Thread Creator

Soul Hunter
Ambitious but rubbish
Administrator

shooter_mcgavin said:

I guess what frustrates me about the franchise now is how they had a pot of gold in the previous generation and turned it into dirt. Now I know game development is a tough job but how hard is it for the company and developers to really f*** up the development of FFXIII and make boneheaded decisions

This.  Keeping FF Type-0 limited to a single audience and platform while force-feeding us FFXIII-whatever is the very definition of boneheaded.  I swear I'd pay a million gil to know why corporate bigwigs think the way they do.

Jump to Post

09.23.2012 6:33pm

Crisium
N/A

I love world maps too.  The sense of scale, exploraton - all worth it.  I also loved FFIX's use of continents and mist and how the first time you are introduced to the Forgotten Continent is in Kuja's Airship when he forces you to help him.  What I liked about Airships is not only the exploration, but just flying over areas you had walked always was a fun feeling.  And look at the WoR in FFVI, what better way to show that the world was physically warped then to show the world map shifted every which way?

Jump to Post

09.23.2012 6:37pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

It takes S-E YEARS to get a modern FF game out. It would probably add a year for them to make a world map.

Jump to Post

09.23.2012 7:10pm

Blayze
Registered Member

I still get a little excited but I'll be more hesitant in future, and probably see community consensus before buying, because I haven't particularly enjoyed XII or XIII, and that sentiment seems to be echoed by the majority.

What could get my excitement levels back up more than anything else would be to hear that some of the names from the "golden era" of Final Fantasy were returning to the team.

Jump to Post

09.24.2012 4:21am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

amaron said:

It takes S-E YEARS to get a modern FF game out. It would probably add a year for them to make a world map.

It's all about focuing the teams efforts and time at the right things. The developers of FFXIII said it took them a week to render a rock. So that's one miniscule object in a game imagine how long it took them to render other objects in the game. I can only imagine how much time they wasted on working on the wrong things.

Jump to Post

09.24.2012 5:16am

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

Issue is Square Enix's current psychosexual obsession with FFVII.  Everything either needs to be it or surpass or do whatever with it but it all comes back down to fucking FFVII.  Maybe, just MAYBE, we can get a genuinely good game if they bother to yank their heads out of 1997's ass.

Jump to Post

09.24.2012 5:55am

Seelas
I want to go back.

shooter_mcgavin said:

The developers of FFXIII said it took them a week to render a rock.
What's the source on this? It's either total bullshit or completely out of context.

Jump to Post

09.24.2012 7:42am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Seelas said:

What's the source on this? It's either total bullshit or completely out of context.

It was reported be someone in the old FFonline forums, and I recally it was mentioned by someone from the FFXIII dev team.

Jump to Post

09.24.2012 8:07am
 (Edited on 09.24.2012 at 8:13am)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Ashilyn said:

Serious question. because I've been curious for a while: Why are people so hung up on world maps? What do they actually add to the game besides a sense of nostalgia?

I honeslty don't understand it. It was a convention borne of hardware limitations, and I definitely don't mind not having boring, zoomed out traditional maps. I like walking form place to place, and getting a sense of the world, seeing cool vistas, and getting to better see it's inhabitants. A map for stuff like quick travel or something would be fine, but I'd rather not revert to the 32/16 bit era style world maps, personally. That's not to say I want everything to be FFXII, because the size of some of those maps was just stupid, but I think it and FFX are a step in a better direction than old school world maps.

So, I'm serious, what is it people like about them? What do they add to the game that I'm missing? Why, when we rally against things like random encounters and save points, are world maps the old, outdated design convention that we're holding sacred?

I can't speak for other people, but it's not world maps in the classic sense I'm yearning for, it's being able to explore every inch of an entire planet, and be able to retrace my steps to any location at will WITHOUT having to replay dungeons in order to traverse to the other side of the world. World maps are just very easy way of doing this.  Nothing is more of a pain in the ass when you play a game that doesn't have an overworld or teleportation of osme sort and you have to replay a long repetitive dungeon just to reach a town you've been to to finish a sidequest off. Whether its' world map or 100% to scale overworld, I'm good with it.

It also adds to the immersion of the world when you can see and explore the locations it has to offer and explore every inch of the world. I like doing that. Games that don't have world maps tend to be focused on only a small part of the world or have you ignore much of the land mass in the world, and it makes the game world feel smaller and less realistic. Of course the exception is having a massive overworld like Xenoblade or Skyrim. What these games have is just as good as a world map. It's just that without a world map as the default for many RPGs,  it is easy for developers to take shortcuts to end up with FF13's under-developed world.

As far as the question in the thread, sure I could get interested, but what I see and hear would really, really have to wow me.  For one, they'd have to introduce a new mechanic where you can murder (permanently) any party members that  join you. That way if you have a few annoying characters you can off them and never see or hear of them again. That would be one of the ways in which I could be interested in Final Fantasy again.

Jump to Post

09.24.2012 10:14am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Soul Hunter said:

... are you still excited in seeing a brand new Final Fantasy (that isn't FFXIII-whatever)?
I've been burned enough, so I have to first have conclusive proof that it's going to be a good game, and even so, though I like FFXII, it's not what it seemed it was going to be, so...
But it could happen.

Jump to Post

09.24.2012 1:17pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Seelas said:

It was an interview with a graphics artist on the project who excitedly told an interviewer she had spent 2/3 days working on a single rock, it's going back a few years now so I can't remember the website. It is however well documented that FFXIII was managed poorly.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/173093/Square_Enix_to_avoid_largescale_internal_development_after_Final_Fantasy_XIII2.php

Jump to Post

09.24.2012 4:19pm

Sanna
What a Tedious fight!

Crusader said:

Issue is Square Enix's current psychosexual obsession with FFVII.  Everything either needs to be it or surpass or do whatever with it but it all comes back down to fucking FFVII.  Maybe, just MAYBE, we can get a genuinely good game if they bother to yank their heads out of 1997's ass.

This, and more of this. Final Fantasy VII is overrated and now it's overused.

I doubt I'll ever get super excited for FF title like used to. They're just going into a direction I don't like at all.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 ... 12 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter