Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Is there some excitement left for a new Final Fantasy?

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 Next >

09.24.2012 4:25pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

Maybe a few years back but what has FF7 got to do with anything now?  The failings of FF have nothing to do with VII, it just comes up so much because it's clear that was their fucking heydey they will never come close to again.

Jump to Post

09.24.2012 5:59pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

To be honest I could smell something was wrong with FFXIII even before the game came out. I was still in denial and bought the game "day 1" for both PS3 and 360. But deep inside I knew something was going to be wrong with the game maybe its because I saw how FFXII moved the series forward and felt FFXIII was a step back. Or maybe I was spoiled by WRPG's that game out like Dragon Age or Oblivion, Or maybe even in terms of design I felt Lost Odyssey was conceptually a better game than FFXIII based on their previews. Or maybe you could feel that the influence Sakaguichi and Uematsu had was wiped away with FFXIII.

I don't but for some reason, deep inside, I felt something was wrong.

Spidey said:

I can't speak for other people, but it's not world maps in the classic sense I'm yearning for, it's being able to explore every inch of an entire planet, and be able to retrace my steps to any location at will WITHOUT having to replay dungeons in order to traverse to the other side of the world. World maps are just very easy way of doing this.  Nothing is more of a pain in the ass when you play a game that doesn't have an overworld or teleportation of osme sort and you have to replay a long repetitive dungeon just to reach a town you've been to to finish a sidequest off. Whether its' world map or 100% to scale overworld, I'm good with it.

It also adds to the immersion of the world when you can see and explore the locations it has to offer and explore every inch of the world. I like doing that. Games that don't have world maps tend to be focused on only a small part of the world or have you ignore much of the land mass in the world, and it makes the game world feel smaller and less realistic. Of course the exception is having a massive overworld like Xenoblade or Skyrim. What these games have is just as good as a world map. It's just that without a world map as the default for many RPGs,  it is easy for developers to take shortcuts to end up with FF13's under-developed world.

As far as the question in the thread, sure I could get interested, but what I see and hear would really, really have to wow me.  For one, they'd have to introduce a new mechanic where you can murder (permanently) any party members that  join you. That way if you have a few annoying characters you can off them and never see or hear of them again. That would be one of the ways in which I could be interested in Final Fantasy again.

I think that's the key thing, immersion most RPG's live and die by having this element sure there are some exceptions Lost Odyssey/Persona 3 (in Japan) and Dragon Age (in the West) but for the most part an immsersive game a critical component in making you feel that you are part of the world. But I guess a World Map isn't nessary for this FFXII didn't have a world map either (rather it had Zones)  but it was good enough to have that kind of immersion.

I think if Square Enix thinks having an overworld is too daunting then I suggest just to have the next best thing just have a the game concentrated on a hub just like Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess was. I can accept if the "overworld" of the next FF game has a FFXIII Pulse like setting where the events and locations of the game takes place in that area.

Like I said the World Map alone isn't going to solve FFXIII's problems it had other problems. Like I said RPGs like FFX, Lost Odyssey, Persona 3, and even Dragon Age didn't have a world map but was a success because of its solid storytelling and characters. Unfortunatley, FFXIII didn't have that too.

Jump to Post

09.24.2012 6:14pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

Honestly, I feel like a world map does the exact opposite for me - it LESSENS the sense of scale and immersion. It's cool to see the whole world laid out bare, but I'd rather be down in the trenches exploring it. If that means I don't see THE WHOLE DAMN WORLD and explore every inch of it, I'm fine with that, as long as what I'm presented with is fun and interesting.

FFXII's areas were a bit too big, and FFXIII's were a way too linearly focused. But I think FFX was on the right idea. Throw in some form of quick travel so you don't have to trek back through a dungeon just to go back to the previous town, and open it up to somewhere between FFX and FFXII, and I think it'll be something closer to perfect.

Jump to Post

09.24.2012 7:36pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

The Hulk said:

Maybe a few years back but what has FF7 got to do with anything now?  The failings of FF have nothing to do with VII, it just comes up so much because it's clear that was their fucking heydey they will never come close to again.

They themselves keep talking about it. They have recently said that they won't re-make FFVII until they make something BETTER than it, which is the topic of the thread.

Jump to Post

09.24.2012 9:16pm

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

The last game I anticipated was Versus. And look how that turned out.

Rinoa.Nu

Jump to Post

09.24.2012 9:24pm

Kal
yes

I personnally love a world map. I love finding secret places hidden in a forest or seing a cave on a mountain top and knowing I can only access it when I get an airplane and so forth or taking the submarine and running into an event while underwater. 

Even if it's essentially the same thing, having a world map makes the game feel much less linear. FFX felt like just one reaaaaally long corridor. From what I've heard of FFXIII it was even worse. FFXII would've been fun it were an MMO but those areas were painfully boring and empty.

That being said, it'd take a very very good game for me to be interested in FF again. Something better than FF5-6 and 9 combined. So yeah no, it's not going to happen.

Jump to Post

09.24.2012 9:57pm

Lexx
I know how they work

I doubt I'll ever get excited the way I did during the playstation days.  The FF series has been a pretty big letdown for the past decade.  I still love the older games just as much as I did then, but the sense of anticipation and excitement when a new game is announced is gone.  It doesn't help matters that nowadays it seems 50/50 if an announced game even makes it out of development or not.  I'll always keep up to date on new FF games, but the days of me instantly buying it and whatever console it runs on are over.

Jump to Post

09.24.2012 10:32pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Considering I don't even buy consoles or console games anymore (aside from the rare Wii game), the answer is a solid and resounding NO. They'd have to pull a major gamble like the Enix side did with releasing a numerical Dragon Quest for the DS.

That aside, FFXII left such a sour taste in my mouth as did everything I heard about XIII that even if I were still buying/playing consoles, I very much doubt that Square-Enix or the franchise could regain my interest.

Jump to Post

09.25.2012 1:29am

Zubis
Registered Member

I don't really feel FF7 is an issue. They aren't working on active projects regarding FF7 (the compilation is long finished), and of course they'll talk about FF7 if it's brought up, it's like not talking about Star Wars or Metal Gear to George Lucas/Hideo Kojima.

Jump to Post

09.25.2012 4:48am

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

The point is more that they DIDN'T do this when they made FF games that we got excited about.  Case-in-point, their next AAA title was intentionally a drastically different game.  Remember when AAA games could be like that?

Jump to Post

09.25.2012 10:09am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Ashilyn said:

Honestly, I feel like a world map does the exact opposite for me - it LESSENS the sense of scale and immersion. It's cool to see the whole world laid out bare, but I'd rather be down in the trenches exploring it. If that means I don't see THE WHOLE DAMN WORLD and explore every inch of it, I'm fine with that, as long as what I'm presented with is fun and interesting.

FFXII's areas were a bit too big, and FFXIII's were a way too linearly focused. But I think FFX was on the right idea. Throw in some form of quick travel so you don't have to trek back through a dungeon just to go back to the previous town, and open it up to somewhere between FFX and FFXII, and I think it'll be something closer to perfect.

FFX did you let you explore the whole world, you at least had an airship with a map that let you land in a multitude of locations, and they spanned all of Spira.   You could even input coordinates you found to unlock hidden areas...the game did let you explore a ton in the end there.

Jump to Post

09.25.2012 10:21am

Zubis
Registered Member

Agreed, but as the first FF game in a decade without a world map I still remember it was viciously attacked (by many on this forum).

I think some people just like the thrill of flying around in the airship.

Jump to Post

09.25.2012 12:14pm

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

I think Dragon Quest VIII is a great example of how world maps can be implimented in 3D RPGs. It was huge and vibrant and full of detail with tons of things that were hidden off the beaten path that you could overlook if you didn't spend time looking around. And once you were able to travel in the air, you could reach locations that were inaccessable but visible earlier in the game.

I'm not saying that all RPGs should impliment world maps, but I don't want to see world maps cut from all RPGs.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

09.25.2012 2:11pm

Zubis
Registered Member

I haven't played much of them, but I thought The Last Story and Xenoblade pulled off open world exploration quite well.

Jump to Post

09.26.2012 11:15pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Xenoblade WAS a world map. lol

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter