Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Is there some excitement left for a new Final Fantasy?

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next >

09.28.2012 1:00am

Yoshiyuki Ly
Shinsengumi

I still get plenty of excitement when I hear about a new FF game, mostly because I always give S-E the benefit of the doubt that their next title will be great. The rest is pure nostalgia, habit... I'm sure I deviate from the majority on the forums (my favorite FF games were VIII and XIII-2). Oh well.

As for world maps, I didn't really care for them. I'd get frustrated in the earlier titles, wandering around trying to find the nearest city, only to get stuck in the corner of a mountain right next to the ocean somewhere and have to retrace my steps. FFXIII's linearity followed the theme, imo, and I held onto this idea of mine early on, thus the corridor-like world never bothered me. I was disappointed when we couldn't fly the Airship in FFX the old-fashioned way, which I did enjoy in FFVI especially.

Jump to Post

09.28.2012 4:53pm
Thread Creator

Soul Hunter
Ambitious but rubbish
Administrator

Yoshiyuki Ly said:

I'm sure I deviate from the majority on the forums (my favorite FF games were VIII and XIII-2).

It's good you didn't say 'all'.  I'm part of the very small minority who has FFVIII as his favorite (haven't played XIII-2 yet)

Jump to Post

09.28.2012 5:50pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Soul Hunter said:

It's good you didn't say 'all'.  I'm part of the very small minority who has FFVIII as his favorite (haven't played XIII-2 yet)

I never got the FFVIII hate.

I loved the Garden story and thought the battle system was fun.

And I still hate Oilboyles.

Jump to Post

09.28.2012 7:02pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

FFVII used to be my favourite.

Then I grew up and realised that FFVI / IX are my favourite(s) and FFVIII was my second favourite. FFVII fell to third where FFVIII was originally.

Jump to Post

09.28.2012 8:16pm

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

I think the time of FFVIII hate has long since passed.  I mean, yeah, it's still a pretty divisive game, but it gets a pretty good amount of love and you can say it's your favorite in the series without shitstorms going down anymore.  Time has been far kinder how people viewed it than, say, FFXII, and even when it was new it got a far better response than FFXIII.

I started to get more puristical about pure gamey experiences as I got older but I'll probably always like it the best out of the PS1 set.

Jump to Post

09.28.2012 10:15pm
 (Edited on 09.29.2012 at 9:00am)

viator
Registered Member

Soul Hunter said:

Despite most of us being generally disappointment in the direction taken by the series that got us all together to begin with, are you still excited in seeing a brand new Final Fantasy (that isn't FFXIII-whatever)?
I can still easily get excited by Final Fantasy, even after all these years.

However, I would like to emphasize on the Final Fantasy part, because I used to anticipate a lot of Square Enix games years back. That's about the thing that changed. I used to be a "Squaresoft fan". Nowadays, all of that is left behind. While I still greatly respect old, abandoned/ruined IPs, Final Fantasy is all that's left to look forward to. Front Mission, Chrono, Chocobo... I loved those series. But they are gone now, and I miss them.

Final Fantasy still gets me though. I haven't moved on, because I have no need to. I love the series despite all the shortcomings. I want to be clear though that while I embrace the games as they come, I am not ignorant. I acknowledge the cons, point them out, argue them. Same for pros. I love analyzing the pros of Final Fantasy games. Gives a great perspective to those experiences (Final Fantasy XIII included!). Makes it much easier to like the games I otherwise would not.

Belief in Final Fantasy hasn't failed me so far, because after many years, Final Fantasy Type-0 has come. The path since Final Fantasy X has been rocky, but no Final Fantasy game is perfect. People cope with Final Fantasy games harder because they don't come out as often anymore. Final Fantasy XIII is being targeted as much as it is I'd say because it's on the stage for so long. Final Fantasy XIV, like Final Fantasy XI, doesn't count here as the audience, or at least the approach, is different. With no Final Fantasy XV to take over the stage, FFXIII is taking a lot of hits.

Then there's Final Fantasy Type-0. I could write walls of text about this one, but I would like to try something else:

If the best era of Final Fantasy for you is the PS1 era, this game is for you.

dissidia.net

Jump to Post

09.29.2012 1:26am

Cameron
Registered Member

For me, the last Final Fantasy I really enjoyed isn't quite so far back.  Being a huge fan of Tactics, XII was pretty good in my books.  I liked XII a lot more than X, and I felt they just missed the mark on making it a more widely accepted game.  The battle system worked for me (I was definitely far more inclined to spend time leveling up and trying to max out my characters in XII than most previous instalments), but I could see how it would be annoying for others.  I think that a lot of shortcomings can be overcome by a strong, and involved story.  XII had a good story, but the characters were not featured in it prominently enough - there wasn't quite enough character discovery or change.  Still, the world got me, I liked all the characters (except for Vaan, but really, he's not the main character in my opinion anyways), and what story was there was pretty solid. 
-
I don't hate XIII, but I didn't finish it.  The characters were awful.  Just awful.  The story was extremely convoluted and boring.  Again, i didn't mind the battle/leveling system, but ultimately, the only reason I play is to see the characters through and discover the world - two things I either couldn't do, or didn't care to do.  I wanted to care about Lightning, but I feel like she (and everyone else) was written by grade six students.
-
I really like what I'm hearing about FFXIV, even though I have no interest in online games.  It sounds like they're trying to revert to a lot of nostalgic, classic Square elements.  I don't think the franchise is so far gone that they cannot restore themselves.  It sounds like they're finally starting to recognize the problem and address it.  Open the world up again, and maybe spend more money on writers and character design than on trying to create anime style action FMV sequences.  It annoys me to no end when I am forced to watch a scene that clearly Square thinks is very exciting, and I realize I have no emotional attachment to the characters in it whatsoever.  Compare the very simple act of Cloud and the gang parachuting into Midgar in the wake of a Weapon attack to Snow rescuing Lightning by summoning a roller-coaster of ice and riding on it, mowing down an army of soldiers, with his hovercraft motorcycle.  Any potential the latter scene had was ruined by the sheer absurdity of it.

Jump to Post

09.30.2012 9:17pm

Blayze
Registered Member

That's a major annoyance for me from the last few games, as Square has been steadily paying less and less regard to the laws of physics in battles and cut scenes. I hate seeing my characters flying around. The trend seemed to start with Advent Children and was in full flow in XIII. Makes it much harder to engage with the characters as human beings.

Jump to Post

09.30.2012 11:06pm

amaron

Blayze said:

That's a major annoyance for me from the last few games, as Square has been steadily paying less and less regard to the laws of physics in battles and cut scenes. I hate seeing my characters flying around. The trend seemed to start with Advent Children and was in full flow in XIII. Makes it much harder to engage with the characters as human beings.

I thought even the idea of Blitzball was stupid. Did they EVER take a breath?

Jump to Post

10.01.2012 1:58am

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

I guess in that regard it's more a case of SE making players/viewers suspend belief far more than in earlier titles - after all, there is a handy hint in the title. ;)

As for Blitzball, I remember when FFX first came out one game magazine I read tried to rationalize the logistics of the sport by saying Spirans can 'breathe underwater naturally', which I've never seen mentioned or stated canonically anywhere by SE since. The FF Wiki just states that Blitzball players train themselves to be able to hold their breath for extended periods, so I don't know. I guess again it comes down to suspension of belief, but it still seems illogical.

Jump to Post

10.01.2012 2:34am

amaron

Enkidoh said:

I guess in that regard it's more a case of SE making players/viewers suspend belief far more than in earlier titles - after all, there is a handy hint in the title. ;)

As for Blitzball, I remember when FFX first came out one game magazine I read tried to rationalize the logistics of the sport by saying Spirans can 'breathe underwater naturally', which I've never seen mentioned or stated canonically anywhere by SE since. The FF Wiki just states that Blitzball players train themselves to be able to hold their breath for extended periods, so I don't know. I guess again it comes down to suspension of belief, but it still seems illogical.

That's really my issue with it. I don't care if you can throw a 100mph fastball, you're not throwing a ball to someone underwater.

Jump to Post

10.01.2012 3:02am

Zubis
Registered Member

Blayze said:

I dunno, you could argue it started with FFX. Remember that crazy scene with Tidus skating down some bridge supports or something?

Jump to Post

10.01.2012 3:34am

Ashilyn
Career GM

Blayze said:

I never understood how people could have an issue with this in a series (and genre) that both already has people doing superhuman or supernatural feats pretty regularly without blinking an eye, and has been heavily influenced by anime since the SNES years. The only difference is now we have the hardware to really show that kind stuff. While it's more a staple of anime than traditional fantasy, it still fallls under similar umbrellas, and I feel if you can accept people slinging around magic/artes/whatever on a battle field, or other super human feats of agility and endiurance, why do we draw the line at Lightning pretending she's in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3? It seems strange to me. I mean, what about the infamous scenes in FFVIII (of the crew moving from Balmb to Galbadia Garden during the assault on the latter) or FFX (the scene mentioned by Zubis)? Those are just as bad as anything we have now.

Personally, if a RPG is going to be on modern hardware, I want it to take advantage of the hardware, and I like my battles to be flashy and interesting. It's kind of a waste of the hardware to get into a battle, and then all those pretty looking models just line up on their sides of the field and go through bland-ass motions. Combat was the one thing I thought went REALLY right in FFXIII (outside of the 15 hour tutorial), both visually and design wise. If you're not going to take advantage of the graphical power and add some flash to your battle system, get those characters moving, make use of thsoe particle effects, have people doing shit all overt he screen. If not, why bother putting it on a console and not the PSP, Vita, or 3DS?

(Honestly, I feel like the JRPG genre as a whole would be much better served transitioning to portables almost entirely, but that's a discussion for another day. Basically very few devs really know how to make their JRPGs look like they belong on modern systems, and it hurts them in so many ways.)

Jump to Post

10.01.2012 2:37pm

amaron

Zubis said:

I dunno, you could argue it started with FFX. Remember that crazy scene with Tidus skating down some bridge supports or something?

The chain from the airship to Bevelle? Yeah, the entire group did it.

It was a cool FMV, but absurd.

Jump to Post

10.01.2012 4:52pm

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

LOL and Lulu was on someone's lap. Since her being able to skate down a chain was apparently just a tad more absurd.

Rinoa.Nu

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter