Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Why Lightning Returns was delayed by 6 months.

< Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Next >

07.07.2013 7:06am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Onyx said:

FF13 had a few good tracks, but I didn't really think much of it overall. At least it was better than FF12's, but I don't remember liking a whole lot of the OST outside of the various battle tracks.

it had 2.

Everything else was forgettable.

The Battle Music got old quick but then again maybe its because every trailer between 2006 to 2010 was playing the track. 

Jump to Post

07.07.2013 12:57pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

FFXIII didn't have the Final Fantasy Main Theme or the Prelude.

Fuck that shit. If they want to create some new music for a new series, fine. But pay some damn respect to the series and include at least one of it's fucking two themes.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

07.07.2013 2:26pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

From what I read, Hamauzu was 'scared' of 'being in Uematsu's shadow' when he composed FFXIII's OST and was afraid of creating a soundtrack that the fans would not accept - yeah, so what did he do? Go and completely throw away FF series regular tracks like the Prelude in favour of his own boring stand ins (hell, the only reocurring FF track in FFXIII was the Chocobo theme, and he arranged it both as a J-pop song complete with vocals and as a jazz track!).

True, I still did like some of the tracks (Eidolons really grew on me, and I liked The Warpath Home), but much of the soundtrack was either absurdly cheerful given the jaundiced tone of the storyline (I mean, look at March of the Dreadnoughts), too ambient sounding, or was just an orchestral cacophony of various modern classical composers' styles all blended together. It just lacked consistency and came across as just cynical and unsympathetic.

Jump to Post

07.12.2013 8:29am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

From the man himself

Toriyama asserted this, "Lightning is different, attractive, and will be massively appreciated by all fans!"

Interview here.

Jump to Post

07.12.2013 9:11am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Link don't work homey.

Though christ he sounds like a fanfic author defending their self-insert OC.

Jump to Post

07.12.2013 9:25am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

don't describe your own character as attractive, let others come to that conclusion

you can design them to be traditionally appealing, but don't flat out say they're attractive.  other characters can say it, but don't say it within the narration.

gee square doesnt' know how to write anymore wow wow wow

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

07.12.2013 12:10pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Onyx said:

Link don't work homey.

Though christ he sounds like a fanfic author defending their self-insert OC.

https://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/13317.html

try this one ... then again it's all around NEOGAF anyways :P

But this link even has a more disturbing quote

"About Lightning Returns I really hope to introduce a new Lightning, and not just the Lightning that you got to know before, and that is already loved by the old fans of the series. This Lightning is different, attractive, and will be massively appreciated by all the fans. Please be patient just a little more."

Though to be fair if he means fans of the Final Fantasy XIII series that makes sense (which is like a small fraction of the entire FF fanbase). Of course if he means the FF Series as a whole, then yeah he's pretty delusional.

Also why do I now have images of Toriyama as Gabriel Byrne in Cool World and Lightning as Kim Basinger or Holli Would?

Jump to Post

07.12.2013 3:21pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

shooter_mcgavin said:
Also why do I now have images of Toriyama as Gabriel Byrne in Cool World and Lightning as Kim Basinger or Holli Would?

Why the fuck would you put that image in my head, you sick bastard!?

God, that was a terrible movie.

...Oh, right, the guys quotes.  Yes, he should let the fans decide how to view Lightning, but at the same time it does sound like he's defending the character, which is something I can relate to as a wannabe writer.

if somebody insulted my characters I'd defend them, as well.

Jump to Post

07.12.2013 6:37pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Holli Would was sexy. Regarless of that movie's merits!

Man, every time SE asks people to be patient, I want to punch them in the face. All of them. Every single time. If you have information to share, share it. If you don't, shut the fuck up.  Out of all the companies out there giving annoying teasers, SE is the most irritating.

Jump to Post

07.18.2013 11:24pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Toriyama asserted this, "Lightning is different, attractive, and will be massively appreciated by all fans!"

Attractive and massively appreciated? Oh no, don't tell me they're going to...

Nevermind.

Mixed feelings on this.

Jump to Post

07.19.2013 7:44pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Fanservicey enough?

Those Snow costumes are hideous.  I gather there's no versus mode in XIV.  Too bad, it would be more opportunities to beat the tar out of Snow!

Jump to Post

07.19.2013 8:20pm
 (Edited on 07.19.2013 at 8:49pm)

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Should've have been Sazh's (spelling?) outfit and hair, and chicobo, IMO.

Jump to Post

07.19.2013 8:25pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Sazh.

Jump to Post

07.19.2013 8:49pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

It's been spelled like that all along and I certainly didn't do anything like go back and fix it after being corrected no sir.

Jump to Post

07.19.2013 8:52pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

I don't see any edit notes so I guess you're right!

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter