Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Why Lightning Returns was delayed by 6 months.

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 Next >

07.05.2013 6:51pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Hahaha, that's some burning hatred there.

I thought Hope was a stupid, whiny, misguided kid in the first one, but he redeemed himself in the second game. Snow, not so much. That guy is practically useless.

No idea why it seems like she's fighting all her friends... They'll probably figure out some ridiculously contrived plot, but I'm sure it's more of an excuse for them to design the game without a party.

Oh, and also that FFXIV cameo is gross.  But not as horrifying as that diverse band of Lightning cosplayers.

Jump to Post

07.06.2013 1:13pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

The FFXIV cameo in Lightning Returns is more an in-joke between Nomura and FFXIV's producer Naoki Yoshida - the LR/FFXIII art team as a joke made a costume for Lightning in the form of the starting armour miqo'te characters wear, and at E3 Yoshi-P said he'd 'repay that by finding some way of putting Lightning in FFXIV'.

Hence her FFXIV cameo event is apparently a short-term optional event battle or something that will only be available in FFXIV around the launch of Lightning Returns for a short time. But it hasn't stopped the torrents of bile on the FFXIV forums about this. Me, meh, it's really no different to FFXIV players doing Christmas and Halloween themed events where they get reindeer and pumpkin head costumes. ;)

Jump to Post

07.06.2013 5:05pm

Thirdtwin
It's you guys' fault

Lightning looks good in that Cloud costume. >_>

TT

Jump to Post

07.06.2013 5:10pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

After looking through a lot of stuff about this game and watching the 13 minute gameplay video that came out of Japan Expo, I dunno, I think this game looks fun as hell and I am actually fairly excited. Opinions on XIII and Lightning aside (though personally I have grown to like both), the gameplay looks like Crisis Core had sex with FFX-2 while a Tales game watched, and thus potentially ridiculously fun. Hopefully there's a demo down the line, so I can know for sure, but I am cautiously optimistic.

As for Lightning in FFXIV, people need to get over it. Fanservice happens, and Yoshi-P always said he wanted 2.0 to be a tribute to Final Fantasys old and new. No one complained about magitek armour, The Crystal Tower, the Dragoon artifact armour basically being Kain's armour, or the talk of including the Gold Saucer. How is a one off Lightning cameo and some Lightning and Snow armour and XIII weapons any different?m

Jump to Post

07.06.2013 5:38pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Because people like those things and hate Lightning, pretty much.

Basically, Lightning has become a symbol of everything wrong with Square and Final Fantasy since they fell from grace. The John Cena-esque push really doesn't help things either.

Jump to Post

07.06.2013 6:51pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

I dislike Lightning in FF14 because I feel it's less a cameo (which I'm fine with, see Ash's other examples) and more a hamfisted ad for Lightning Returns.

Admitedly it may be just the timing. They released a stupid amount of Lightning Returns stuff this week, trailers, pre-order stuff, etc.

Jump to Post

07.06.2013 6:58pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

All these cameos made me realize , that despite my best wishes back in the day, I'm glad all my fav FF characters from FF4-6 didn't make all these cameos in future FF games. 

Jump to Post

07.06.2013 7:22pm
 (Edited on 07.06.2013 at 7:28pm)

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Ashilyn said:
As for Lightning in FFXIV, people need to get over it. Fanservice happens, and Yoshi-P always said he wanted 2.0 to be a tribute to Final Fantasys old and new. No one complained about magitek armour, The Crystal Tower, the Dragoon artifact armour basically being Kain's armour, or the talk of including the Gold Saucer. How is a one off Lightning cameo and some Lightning and Snow armour and XIII weapons any different?m

Maybe it's because its another example of Lightning being shoved down our throats. Really that's the problem, we can see Magitek, Dragoons as fragmented fan service from previous FF games. But Lightning is pretty much a blantant attempt to make her feel more important to the FF franchise than she really is.

If her being the focus of Dissida 012 isn't telling of what Square-Enix is trying to do, I don't know what is. And since Dissida is basically the ultimate fan service FF game putting characters in every FF game into one titile. Just like WWE and John Cena, it's like Squae-Enix saying Lightning is the face of the FF Franchise.

Jump to Post

07.06.2013 8:11pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

I probably don't hate her as much as some of you do, but yeah, it's a little irritating how much SE is trying to shove her down our throats.  It's like they think she was the one good idea that came out of FFXIII and they're overcompensating for that game's failings by putting her everywhere.

Jump to Post

07.06.2013 9:53pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

kirbenvost said:

I probably don't hate her as much as some of you do, but yeah, it's a little irritating how much SE is trying to shove her down our throats.  It's like they think she was the one good idea that came out of FFXIII and they're overcompensating for that game's failings by putting her everywhere.

It's more indiffrent for me so I don't hate the character. However it's the things Square-Enix does that kind of annoys me.  One that pissed me off the most is the reviisionst history Toriyama did with the franchise and how Lightning is the first ever female potagonist in a Final Fantasy game (due to Lightning Resturns). As a fan of FFVI I found this insulting since it's a slap in the face for longtime fans. And his rebuttal was that FFVI was an ensemble piece and even with that argument apparently FFX-2 never existed.

Jump to Post

07.06.2013 10:16pm

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Christ it's like watching a fashion show for impractical female armor

Jump to Post

07.06.2013 10:26pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Probably the most cringe worthy event I saw regarding FF13 was at Distant Worlds last year, where the FF13 composer was actually in attendance. When he stood up he got the most sympathy laden round of applause I have ever heard.

Jump to Post

07.07.2013 2:56am

Thirdtwin
It's you guys' fault

...but the FF13 music was good ?_?

Jump to Post

07.07.2013 3:33am
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Yeah, but when you're the composer of the perhaps the least critically successful FF in history, and you're in an audience full of people who grew up on FF1-10 and were shouting "Remake FF7" when the composer talks about the future of FF, well...you're not the first person they want to see.

Jump to Post

07.07.2013 5:29am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

FF13 had a few good tracks, but I didn't really think much of it overall. At least it was better than FF12's, but I don't remember liking a whole lot of the OST outside of the various battle tracks.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter