Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Role Playing Games

Mass Effect 3 Ending Discussion (May Have Unmarked Spoilers)

< Prev 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 Next >

06.30.2012 4:43am

Tristan
Just Giv'r

Hmmm yeah there's that. I figured you could just replicate what the Quarians did with the Geth but I suppose there really is no guarantee that they would come to the same conclusions as the "old geth". Kinda irritating point with the Space Magic as there's nothing clear about where the line is drawn(still haven't done the new endings so sorry if I'm wrong) so how far does it go? Do all the lesser AI's around the galaxy get torched too? That would definiely impede rebuilding things. How the hell does the reaper space magic conclude what a sentient machine is? I know they just tacked that part on to not make Destroy flat out the best option but jebus the holes are silly sometimes.

Jump to Post

06.30.2012 1:40pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Tristan said:

Ah see that's pretty cool because there's definitely some grey area to each of the options. I could definitely see the pros and cons to what amounted to Saren's choice, the Illusive Man's choice and....Anderson/Shepard's choice? But my Shep talked down both Saren and the IM so picking those is a bit hypocritical for him and the morality of things isn't the greatest so Destroy still works best.

The way I look at it is this:
Defining it as the Illusive Man's choice isn't really giving Control any credit, and also not really giving Shepard (at least if you're a Paragon) any credit, and the game itsn't doesn't help when it's all, "THIS IS WHAT THE IM WOULD HAVE CHOSEN".

The IM would have chosen to control the Reapers.... specifically for the benefit of humanity.  He would be ending the war and then having a big hyperdestructive knife at the throat of the rest of the galaxy.  Shepard, or at least my Shep and probably most Paragon Sheps, would be choosing to control to Reapers specifically to benefit the galaxy as a whole.  That's why I don't see it as being "the Illusive Man's choice", because the results and the goals are fundamentally different.

Jump to Post

06.30.2012 5:43pm

Inquisitor
Jericholic V2.0

But even with the epilogue clarifying the results of control there is still a fair amount of ambiguity regarding what actually happens in the Control ending (in my opinion). And in a lot of ways I think it's good ambiguity. I still have questions about how Shepard's conversion from organic to sentient machine really will play out. There are comments made by the StarChild about how the Reapers came to be in the first place (the exact dialogue escapes me right now) where I found myself wondering if perhaps initially the Reapers were created for another purpose by a prior civilization and became something more powerful than ever intended. Plus I had a hard time putting my faith that Shepard would not be corrupted by the Reaper ideas and mindset if he were to choose Control because for millions of years Reapers have been preserving organic life in Reaper form, and those very same Reapers that are supposed to represent previous civilizations are back destroying organic life. Who's to say that Shepard would not end up doing the same thing once he Controls the Reapers? Now granted, I get that the Crucible may be the reason why it's different this time if Shepard chooses Control, but it's not a risk I felt compelled to make. 

Regarding the points brought up regarding the geth and EDI, I had not considered those, but it makes sense. 

Jump to Post

06.30.2012 5:55pm

Makeshift Gray
FFO's Blank Earth

Inquisitor said:

I disagree. I was 80% Paragon in my playthrough and this was the only viable option I could think of for my Shepard. My mission from the moment I stepped foot on Eden Prime and disabled those bombs Saren set up was to destroy the Reapers. My Shepard didn't know it at that moment, but that was his mission. And he was a solider through and through. 

I get the idea that betraying the Geth and EDI by choosing Destroy does present a bit of an ethical conflict, but my Shepard understood that there would be sacritices in this war. But he had a mission - which was to save the galaxy by destroying the Reapers. My Shepard didn't trust the control option because he couldn't ethically accept the power he fought so hard to stop the Illusive Man from obtaining. To choose that option would make him a hypocrite, and my Shepard was not a hypocrite. He may have had to make some morally questionable decisions at times, but ultimately he was a man guided by principle and values. My Shepard couldn't choose Synthesis either because it was not his place to tell the rest of the galaxy that they would evolve into a new string of being because he was afraid to make a tough choice that would require sacrifice. No, my Shepard chose to destroy the Reapers because to him - it was the only ethical option available, and he knew there would be sacrifice. My Shepard also brokered peace between the geth and quarians, and turians, and krogan. So he didn't believe the StarChild when he said that if he chose to the destroy the Reapers synthetics would rise again and wipe out organics. Maybe they would, but my Shepard had already proved the StarChild wrong and he wasn't about to abandon his mission and play God in ways he didn't feel qualified to do. 
You pretty much hit the nail on the head for the reason why I chose Destroy also.

My Shepard was resolved. Everything he experienced, all the sacrifices others made so he could continue his mission, were so he could destroy the Reapers -- not so he could control them, and not so he could synthesize -- so he could destroy. And after all that, he sure as hell wasn't going to change his mind at the 11th hour just because space ghost kid suggested it. Sacrificing synthetics to accomplish it was a damn tragedy, but sacrifice is a central theme of the series. He sacrificed a whole Batarian colony so he could save more lives in the future. Making those types of difficult choices is his burden.

Anyway, I liked most of the extended content -- but then again, I was one of the few who really didn't mind the original endings to begin with. I appreciated the extra insight and Shepard actually questioning the kid at least a little bit. I liked seeing my squad a bit more. I didn't like the retcon regarding the mass relays, and I hated the fact the EMS was changed so my Shepard did the breathing thing at the end. I thought it was a lot more fitting for my Shepard to die. I never imagined the series ending any other way.

Jump to Post

06.30.2012 8:06pm

Inquisitor
Jericholic V2.0

I actually think BioWare made it too easy to get the Shepard lives ending now. I managed to get around 7200 war assets without multiplayer and I did EVERYTHING in ME1 and ME2. I'm not sure if 7200 is the maximum war assets you can get with a pretty solid series of imports from ME1 and ME2, but it has to be close. I would have rather seen the maximum war assets be like 7000 with 50% galactic readiness. But at the same time it isn't a huge deal. Just now with importing from MP it'll basically be impossible to not get the best ending. 

Jump to Post

07.01.2012 10:11am

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Well if you do everything, shouldn't you expect the Shepard lives ending? As it is, you need 6200 war assets with 50% galactic readiness. It's still quite a bit but much more manageable if you don't want to play MP, which I don't anyway.

Jump to Post

07.01.2012 7:24pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Any ideas on how ME4 will be. I know people think this is the end of Mass Effect but knowing how the games industry works I take "the end of the saga" think with a grain of salt. Especailly how much money Mass Effect makes.

It's would be specfically hard to make a sequel even if tis set to 300+ years especially with how diffrent each ending is supposed to represent.

Jump to Post

07.01.2012 8:00pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I imagine an ME4 would be after a major timeskip. Of course, given the long lives of some of the races, especially asari, that doesn't mean it'd mean an entirely new cast of characters.

They're probably going to have to decide on one ending being the "canon" one unless it's so far removed from the current timeline that the choices are insignificant. Last time a game tried to make a direct sequel work with vastly different endings was Deus Ex 2 and it was one of the many reasons why that game a pale shadow of its predecessor.

Jump to Post

07.01.2012 10:41pm

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

If they make a Mass Effect 4, I would imagine it would originate with the Control ending, several decades or 100+ years in the future.

Shepard, once the savior of all life, became the defender of order and civility in the galaxy.  In attempting to create an ever-lasting peace, Shepard has become a tyrant to end all tyrants; few actions occur without her eye on them.  Life and existance has started to stagnate, and what were once actions to maintain the peace have now become mandates to maintain unreasonable order.

In order to end this, "perfect order,"  we must strike down what was once the galaxy's greatest hero.

Jump to Post

07.01.2012 11:30pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I really enjoyed (actually playing through) the Control ending and it lived up to exactly what I'd been imagining it would be back when it was so vague, right down to Shep using the Reapers to repair/rebuild the Mass Effect Relays.

I still want to know what happened to the various characters on the Citadel, since that still hasn't been touched on at all.

Jump to Post

07.01.2012 11:51pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

I think it was at laest informally confirmed (via twitter) that the Citadel had escape boas and safe shelters - not EVERYONE on it is dead. Probably a good population, but not everyone.

Jump to Post

07.02.2012 12:55am

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Yeah, I read that.  I just wished they'd touched on it.

Jump to Post

07.02.2012 12:57am
 (Edited on 07.02.2012 at 1:09am)

Darth Revan
Jen' Jari Iv Tave Sith

Found the following, regarding the 'Destroy' ending...

[h1]BioWare Confirms What You Want To Know About The ??Red Ending? of Mass Effect 3 [Spoilers][/h1]
The red ending. Is it canon? Who's to say? It's the only ending that differs greatly from the others and that's for one major reason.Shepard lives.Until now we all thought we knew. There's that final scene that isn't present in any of the other endings. The camera pans up to find shepard buried in the ruins of London, and then right before the scene ends - he gasps for air and the credits roll.But was it his last gasp? Or the first of many? Does Shepard actually live at the end of the, "Destroy" ending or will fans just be left with even more questions?Well, BioWare's Tully Auckland has cleared the matter up once and for all:

You may notice that in the "Shepard lives" ending, the love interest hesitates to place Shepard's name on the wall, and instead looks up as though deep in thought. This is meant to suggest that the love interest is not ready to believe Shepard is dead, and the final scene reveals they are correct. As the Normandy lifts off, there is hope that the love interest and Shepard will again be together.So there you have it. Shepard is indeed alive at the end of the "Destroy" ending. But what does this mean? Is it the canonical ending? Will we ever see Shepard again? Does any of this matter? I want answers!

Source: https://kotaku.com/5922726/bioware-confirms-what-you-want-to-know-about-the-red-ending-of-mass-effect-3

Until BioWare comes out and states that's the case and IF that's the so called 'canonical' ending, it's only one interpretation.

EDIT: While that image may seem legit from the BSN itself, the fact there's no name of the poster under the pic does make me a little skeptical... though it may've been edited out before it was posted on Kotaku...

Jump to Post

07.02.2012 1:40am
Thread Creator (Edited on 07.02.2012 at 1:46am)

Zubis
Registered Member

Bioware have confirmed the following about Mass Effect:

1. The franchise will continue.
2. Shepard's story is done.
3. Mass Effect 3 was pushed out in 20 months development because the team were very afraid that Microsoft and Sony would release new consoles in advance of the game being released.
4. The current Bioware team is working on something new.

Therefore, Mass Effect's future in my opinion:

Short term (2012/2013):
DLC for ME3 including:
a) Leviathan of Dis add-on.
b) Retake Omega (though rumours state this has been cancelled).
c) Playable prequel scenarios with your party members, most likely Liara.

Medium term (2013/2014)
A short bridging game between the first and second trilogy of games (see below) using the existing engine. Will most likely include lots of multplayer options. Think Halo Reach.

Long Term (2013-2018)
A new series of games on the XBox 720/PS4, tied to the existing universe but set so far in the future (or in another galaxy...) that the events of the first Mass Effect games have been mostly forgotten and/or are irrelevant.

Jump to Post

07.02.2012 1:46am

Darth Revan
Jen' Jari Iv Tave Sith

Zubis said:

4. The current Bioware team is working on something new.

I don't have a problem with anything you said, except I do have a thought about this... I was under the impression that David Gaider of BioWare had a team working on Dragon Age III concurrent with Mass Effect 3's development...

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter