Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Game Of Thrones: Season 6

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next >

05.23.2016 6:06pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Colinp42 said:

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
SUMMER!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

That hit me hard.  Hodor was sad, but I think I was more impressed by it than sad?  Time loops, man!  Cause I was thinking OK, they knew they had to move quick, then they just went back to this unimportant moment in the past and were doing nothing.  Why?!  And of course the answer is because that's the way it had to happen because that's the way it always happened.

The big question is, did young Hodor SEE that?  Like old Hodor was seriously coming apart at the seams.  Is that because he knew exactly what was about to happen to him?

Of course we are left with the fact that Bran and Meera should be torn apart about 30 seconds later.  But whatever!

The ending:
Summer (and Leaf or whatever her name was) sacrificed themselves to buy Bran time and bought Bran... what, like, three seconds each?  Shit Summer didn't even get to take any wights down, really, he just went down like a big furry chump.  Not cool.

And thanks for drawing out the dying-wolf sound effects as long as fucking possible, well after we already knew Summer was a goner, HBO, you buncha goddamn sadists.  (See also:  Fat Walda and the dogs, "HOLD THE" fucking "DOOR".)  Learn when to look away, y'all.  We get it.

But yeah what the fuck, Bloodraven-or-whatever-his-name-is?  "It's time for you... to become me... so let's go back to this seemingly pointless moment in history knowing that the baddies are on their damn way and then just sorta stand around for a while waiting for OH WAIT I'M DEAD GOOD LUCK FIGURING THIS ONE OUT ON YOUR OWN, KID, 'CAUSE YOU AIN'T REALLY LEARNED NOTHIN'."

I guess he learned how to affect/interact with the past?  By, uh, psychologically destroying an innocent adolescent kid (who he then leaves to die, at the "same" time?).  Jesus, HBO, there's dire and then there's dire.

Also
It's a cave under a tree habitated by a bunch of magical forest elf people why is there a fucking door there in the first place--.

Excuse me.  I am more upset by the sloppy, dorky storytelling here than I am about the actual tragedy.

They say they got this straight from GRRM but I would be willing to put money down that in the context of the books it's significantly less stupid (see also:  Stannis, Shireen, a certain large fire).  And if it's not, and what we saw last night is verbatim what happens on the page, well... I'll have some pretty choice words about GRRM's ability to tell a story.

I wish they'd stop waving the "GRRM SAID THIS WAS HOW IT GOES" flag as if that excuses shitty storytelling.  GRRM is perfectly capable of shitty storytelling (see: Penny).

Anyways.

So... like... Benjen, right?  Or Coldhands.  Or Benjen-as-Coldhands (plot-convenience character-smooshing similar to Jaqen-as-the-Kindly-Man and Sansa-as-Jayne).

I am here for the Jon and Sansa stories and basically nothing else at this point.

And, y'know, this (NOW IN ANIMATED FORM):

Jump to Post

05.24.2016 7:01am

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

Internet never fails.
https://youtu.be/yTWkl3d9KKo

Jump to Post

05.24.2016 5:09pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

reido said:

The ending:
They say they got this straight from GRRM but I would be willing to put money down that in the context of the books it's significantly less stupid (see also:  Stannis, Shireen, a certain large fire).  And if it's not, and what we saw last night is verbatim what happens on the page, well... I'll have some pretty choice words about GRRM's ability to tell a story.

I wish they'd stop waving the "GRRM SAID THIS WAS HOW IT GOES" flag as if that excuses shitty storytelling.  GRRM is perfectly capable of shitty storytelling (see: Penny).

Anyways.

So... like... Benjen, right?  Or Coldhands.  Or Benjen-as-Coldhands (plot-convenience character-smooshing similar to Jaqen-as-the-Kindly-Man and Sansa-as-Jayne).

I am here for the Jon and Sansa stories and basically nothing else at this point.

Like you, while the meaning of Hodor will be the same, the circumstances of how it happens in the book will for sure be different. The show at this point hits major points, but the finer details will be a lot better conceived. Especially in the Stannis/Shireen case - I'm very curious to see how that happens in the books. Or anything else going forward. Ugh, we need TWOW to come out like yesterday.

I'm of the camp that hopes to never see Benjen again - sometimes people just disappear. And he should stay that way. But yeah, it's gotta be Colhands who comes and saves the day. Guess we had to sacrifice 2 direwolves to get Coldhands.

The ending though was pretty damn emotional, even with the plotholes. Props to the actor playing young Hodor - that could've been very cheesy and he did a great job with such a delicate moment.

Y'all still reading the Chrys Watches GoT series? Becaue they're still great.

This episode for those who haven't seen.

Jump to Post

05.24.2016 7:30pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

oh my goshI completely forgot about these.  Perfect.

Jump to Post

05.24.2016 9:46pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 05.24.2016 at 9:55pm)

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Chrys Watches GoT is life and I am considering adopting it as my official religion

Euron as Trump is the second greatest thing to happen this week.

Jump to Post

05.27.2016 2:02pm

Call
Firefightin' Administrator
Administrator

Anyone reading the new Sansa-Ramsay rumors?  

Just saw last week's episode.  Does Meera have super strength or what, to be able to move Bran's litter like that?  Also, I am not happy.

Jump to Post

06.06.2016 1:33pm

Magnus
Registered Member

three words:

Sandor. Fucking. Clegane!

Jump to Post

06.06.2016 1:45pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

As soon as we hit the cold open instead of the immediate credits I sat up straighter in bed.  Damn that was a good reveal.

You know they had to.  They had to credit him, and crediting him would have ruined it, so they gave him a whole scene before the credits even ran.

Jump to Post

06.06.2016 9:52pm
Thread Creator

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Cleganebowl confirmed

Jump to Post

06.07.2016 3:45pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

That was a nice reveal for him. I've never been a huge Cleganebowl hyper, but I guess I'm getting on the train.

I do think my favorite part of the episode was Lyanna Mormont - that felt very close to the books in spirit.

WTF, Arya. I don't see her getting killed off, but WTF.

The fact we haven't heard shit from Dorne, even if terrible in the show, is a still bit meh. That's too large of a portion of the continent to completely ignore... as terrible as it is.

I think I'm just here at this point to keep posting these.

Jump to Post

06.07.2016 4:09pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Arya:
I am 90% certain that that whole sequence was a big (risky) con.

I mean, last week she was hunkering down with Needle (which she portentously just retrieved1!) in a pitch-black room.  This week?  Making deals with ship captains and flaunting huge bags of money around like it ain't no thang, including explicitly saying out loud when she's leaving the city... then hanging out out in the open like she's just any other normal girl, not even armed.  She didn't even have Needle.

Naw, like, she's conning the Waif.  She knows she can't just walk away.  She's faking her own death.  I suspect she's doing it with the help of the mummer's troop (stage blood bladders, acting tips, etc), and I suspect she'll join said troop and then the lot of them will return to Westeros. 

She does, in preview chapters, join a mummer's troop in TWOW (though she does it at the HoB&W's behest), so it would line up enough without being exactly what's on the page--which, most of the time, is how the show works.

I mean the alternative is shoddy storytelling and characterization on a Show-Stannis scale, on a Show-Dornish scale, so... let's hope otherwise.

Spoilers continue, including reference to preview footage:
We've also seen her LARPing like she's in Assassin's Creed and running around the city while the Waif chases her in preview footage, so, yeah, I don't think she's actually all that injured.

Jump to Post

06.07.2016 5:39pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

reido said:

I mean the alternative is shoddy storytelling and characterization on a Show-Stannis scale, on a Show-Dornish scale, so... let's hope otherwise.

Oh, you mean like what's already happened to Show!Waif?

Jump to Post

06.07.2016 6:10pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Rhaegar said:

Oh, you mean like what's already happened to Show!Waif?

hey man don't tread on my optimism

Jump to Post

06.07.2016 7:44pm
 (Edited on 06.07.2016 at 7:54pm)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

As for Dorne, while I could certainly go the rest of my life without seeing one more second of those awful, awful Show!Snakes, there's a nagging thought I have whenever watching a King's Landing segment that, uh, the Snakes are in fucking King's Landing SOMEWHERE.

And ... sadly, I can't think of ANY way in which their re-entry into the plot would be anything but double facepalm-worthy.

Really, D&D should've just not even tried with Dorne if they were going to get it so, so, so fucking wrong.

Jump to Post

06.07.2016 8:41pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

It's going to haunt the show forever.  They could never go back there for the rest of the series and people would still remember it.  It's so singularly bad and stupid and pointless that it'll be a black mark on the show forever, no matter how good or bad the rest of it is.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter