Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Guillermo del Toro directs a movie about giant robots.

< Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 Next >

07.17.2013 6:46am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

As far as Box Office Mojo says it's taken in $91 million total in tickets including domestic and international, not separately, on a budget of $190M. So the movie is liekly to end up a financial flop. However, it is Del Toro's best opening weekend ever.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=pacificrim.htm

Jump to Post

07.17.2013 7:10am

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

I really do not understand parties investing $200 million dollars on an untested product like that.  I mean it's great that they made it, but did they need to spend so much?

On a brand new franchise?

Jump to Post

07.17.2013 1:43pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

So it looks like this movie has been an utter failure outside of geekdom, and the geeks are trying to make excuses for why everything is going to turn out fine.

It reminds me of the Republican Party after the last election.

Jump to Post

07.17.2013 2:29pm

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

Yeah, except what we're left with is a great movie, as opposed to the Republican Party which is just plain terrible. It's incredibly disappointing that Pacific Rim isn't doing better, but we still got something incredibly enjoyable out of the deal. It'll become a cult hit, like Scott Pilgrim, and will do very well when it comes out on blu ray. I think the same thing happened with Watchmen?

But yeah. The bad news that goes along with that is the lesson that Hollywood will carry away from this, and that's to continue playing it safe and continue to not try anything new. Just keep on shoveling out the same old shit.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

07.17.2013 2:39pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

"Hi kids! Do you like sequels (tothesameoldtrashthatsalreadybeenreleasedathousandtimesbeforeandAdamSandlermovies)?"

Jump to Post

07.17.2013 3:43pm

OrionHardy
Otherworld

Saw it Yesterday, was dissappointed how empty the cinema was, but then we were the first showing of the day in the 2D screen as opposed to the 3D.

It was a good film, My wife and I enjoy it. It wasn't has good has I expected it to be though. Still better than the rest of the stuff I've seen this year, but I was hoping for it to be on Par with The Avengers and it kinda fell short.

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

07.17.2013 6:52pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Old Juan said:

Studio does get less of the share in foreign. As for domestic, the percentage split between Studio and theaters actually varies depending on how well the the movie does along with how long the movie stays in theaters. If a movie does well, the studio takes the majority of the movies earnings intially and eventually, if it stays in the theater long enough than the percentage shifts in favor torward the theater. .

That explains why Avatar was in theatres here for probably 2 months or something crazy like that.

Jump to Post

07.17.2013 11:11pm

Lexx
Terran Angel

I saw it earlier today and I loved it.  I'm glad the allure of Rob Kazinsky convinced me to go see it.  A fun time was had by all.

On the other hand, I can't put into words how disappointed I am that god damn Grown Ups 2 beat it during the opening weekend.

Jump to Post

07.22.2013 3:03am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Great fun. I like how del Toro went balls out and did an unapologetic genre flick. Was it cheesy at times? Absolutely. But it was by design.

Jump to Post

07.22.2013 9:06am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

It was fun though I never got the feeling the world in the brink of annahiliation though.

And I actually felt the opening monolauge would have made a better story.

Jump to Post

07.22.2013 9:44am

JSG
Registered Member

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
I really hoped Raleigh and Mako would actually die in the end.  I'm tired of heroes making their "sacrifice" only for it not to actually be a sacrifice at all.  I thought del Toro would be the one to have the balls to actually go through with it.

Other than that, I loved the hell out of the movie.  It was fun from the very start to the very end, and that's all I ask out of a movie about giant monsters.

Jump to Post

07.22.2013 1:38pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I was 100% convinced that Raleigh was doing just that.  Sending Mako off and going down with the ship.  I was super pleased because it seemed like the only satisfying way for the character to go out.  And then he rushed back to the seat to escape pod, h'derp.

Jump to Post

07.22.2013 2:58pm

Crisium
N/A

I had very low expectations, but this movie was actually good because it kept me entertained.

Giant robots punch giant sea monsters, but it's not a bad movie.  Charlie from Always Sunny was a pleasant surprise to see.

Jump to Post

07.22.2013 7:15pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

JSG said:

I really hoped Raleigh and Mako would actually die in the end.  I'm tired of heroes making their "sacrifice" only for it not to actually be a sacrifice at all.  I thought del Toro would be the one to have the balls to actually go through with it.

I actually felt the exact opposite.
They actually USED the damn escape pods! Holy crap! Logic!

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

07.22.2013 8:05pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

They kind of went Armageddon with the climactic moment.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter