Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Guillermo del Toro directs a movie about giant robots.

< Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next >

07.15.2013 3:34pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I didn't watch enough Voltron to know, honestly.

Jump to Post

07.15.2013 6:25pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Old Juan said:

Given the box office performance this weekend, the movie is shaping up to being a major flop, pretty close to the level that The Lone Ranger has proven to be. So unless De Tore has hundreds of millions of dollars hidden away somewhere, I can't see Warner Bros taking another risk on this project unless there are some massive budget cuts the next time around.

It did $40 million in the US, but did $90 million internationally - much more than they had imagined. So it'll do ok. But not enough to make a sequel given the apparently lack of interest in it.

Jump to Post

07.15.2013 6:54pm

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

reido said:

That's the MEGAZORD RULE.  You can't use your best weapon until the plot demands you use your best weapon.  This is a variant to the RITA REPULSA rule, in which you can't make your giant monster GIANT until the plot demands it.

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
Maybe they didn't want the kaiju adapting to it too fast so they held it off until they absolutely couldn't do without?

Oh yeah. Durr. I'm not a huge fan of movies like this, so I'm not super aware of the rules that go along with these movies. So yeah. In that light, that they only used the sword when they absolutely had to makes sense.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

07.15.2013 7:01pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Looking back:
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
I have on complaint, one real complaint--and a lot of little ones that amount to a hill of beans, but that's true of all fiction media--and it's a complaint that has stuck with me all day since seeing the movie:

The Russians and the Chinese were too damn cool to get jobbed like that.

I mean--back up--I mean of course they're going to die.  My problem isn't that they got killed.  Shit, I knew they were going to get killed as soon as they started introducing different Jaeger teams way back in the marketing phase.  It was always going to be Gypsy Danger left at the end, and I would have been more surprised if the non-American Jaegers had survived.

But come on.  The Chinese mech has three arms, all controlled by a different person, all drifting together.  The Russian team just oozed the same kidn of over-the-top bravado that Hannibal Chau had.  And what happens to all of 'em?

They stand around in the background. 
They get in their mechs.
They die.
That's it.

I don't know what I'd cut to fit them in--I mean, it's already not a short movie and it's pretty packed as is--but I'd've liked to see more of them.  Maybe cut out some of the alpha-male posturing between Ralleigh and the Australian kid--shit, maybe cut out the entire Father/Son plot from the Australian team because the son half of that team is boring.  as.  fuck.  And so is Ralleigh, honestly.  But I guess we gotta have a couple of milquetoast white boys yelling at each other to make this movie work, right?!  It's not that these parts of the movie are bad they're just sorta bland.

Wrong.  Ditch the Aussie kid's attitude.  Ditch his shitty-not-shitty relationship with his dad.  Gimme more ridiculous Russkies and non-conventional Chinese Jaeggers.

Still loved it, though; you know you love a movie when your biggest gripe is you want MORE of part of it.

Jump to Post

07.15.2013 7:54pm

judge_raz

The characters that I really lament not seeing more of is the Chinese pilots. I mean, did you see their Jaeger? Best design of all of them, in my opinion, and we see it in action for all of five minutes, if that. The Russians would've been awesome, too, but their mere presence was impressive enough. I mean, just their build and demeanor said enough about them to really get through to you that these are a couple of battle hardned badasses. We only see the Chinese pilots very briefly, without nearly enough time to understand who they are as people. Not to mention the awesomeness of having a Jaeger piloted by triplets!

But I do agree with Del Toro that, if we went in depth with all of these characters, it would've slowed the movie to a crawl, and while I'm not one of the people that's complaining about the pacing or the amount of dialogue and character interaction, that's what I've heard complained about the most from the movie's detractors.

Ah well. I've heard that there's around an hour of shot footage that was trimmed from the movie, so here's hoping for an extended release.

Also: I've heard that the movie is really worth seeing in 3D. Which means I'm going to have to see it AGAIN. Which I'm very sad about. See? See my frowny face? :( I'm so very very upset about needing to see it again. It just breaks my heart.

Jump to Post

07.15.2013 10:59pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

I'm going to Edinburgh in August and my gf just pointed out it has an IMAX.  I came close to tears. <3

Also, these are great.

https://4thstringjaegers.tumblr.com

Jump to Post

07.15.2013 11:14pm

Lord Snow
Super Lurker

Also interesting, the last line that Mako says was unsubtitled in the movie. 

If you were curious, this is what it was: https://kotaku.com/pacific-rims-most-emotional-line-was-left-untranslated-789403352

Jump to Post

07.16.2013 2:30am
 (Edited on 07.16.2013 at 3:50am)

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

So, now that we've talked about all this, can we get to the lulz?

Source

Megadinklage about killed me.
(edit: Crap, sorta beaten to it)

Also, Raz, I completely disagree about the 3D.  I honestly think it detracted from the overall action, and decreased my viewing experience, in particular in the Jaeger/Kaiju fight scenes.  Scenes that needed visual clarity, and that were darkened already for atmosphere, were further darkened and mucked-up by all these floating images

Additionally, I agree about the Russian and Chinese Jaegers.  We got to see these big, impressive, unique mechs, and aside from getting their asses handed to them, nothing really happened.  I mean the Russian one really should have had a moment to show off.  It was a Mark 1, one of the original Jaegers, and it was still stomping around kicking ass.  Either this machine, or the pilots, or both, should be absolutely fucking legendary.  These two teams should have been given an introductory fighting scene where we see them promptly beat the hell out of a couple Kaiju, making them seem hot shit. 

Then, when the new, nastier, tougher, unseen kaiju show up, that's when they get their asses handed to them, so the audience has a moment go go, "oh man, shit's fucked!  Even the badasses got hammered!'

Jump to Post

07.16.2013 2:32pm

Old Juan
filled with hate

Zubis said:

It did $40 million in the US, but did $90 million internationally - much more than they had imagined. So it'll do ok. But not enough to make a sequel given the apparently lack of interest in it.

The movies production budget was185 million dollars, then when you factor in the advertising and marketing budget on top of that you have a total cost well over 200 million dollars. Even with overseas, the movie is still considerabley short of at least breaking even. Granted it isn't bombing as hard as the the Lone Ranger but in no way is Warner Bros/Legendary Pictures happy with the movies peformance.

Jump to Post

07.16.2013 4:08pm

Aquila
Usually lurking
Administrator

It's only opened in half of the oversea markets and not out in Japan until August, so there's still hope...

Jump to Post

07.16.2013 6:38pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Gone are the days that a movie is dead if it doesn't do well in the US, though in Pacific Rim's case that may well be true because of the budget.

But yeah, as Aquila mentioned it's not even out in half of Europe yet (and it's the bigger half, Germany France etc).

Jump to Post

07.16.2013 7:00pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

And considering that Battleship did well enough overseas, I'm sure Pacific Rim will do as good or better.

Jump to Post

07.16.2013 8:01pm

judge_raz

This is my basic reaction to Grown Ups 2 doing better at the US box office than Pacific Rim:

Jump to Post

07.16.2013 8:26pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Don't forget that the studio has to split the earnings with the theaters, and if I remember correctly they get less of the share in foreign markets.  It can be hard to gauge, but if a movie doesn't make at least twice its production cost, odds are it won't break even.  So figure $370 million at minimum.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

07.17.2013 5:54am

Old Juan
filled with hate

Fincher said:

Don't forget that the studio has to split the earnings with the theaters, and if I remember correctly they get less of the share in foreign markets.  It can be hard to gauge, but if a movie doesn't make at least twice its production cost, odds are it won't break even.  So figure $370 million at minimum.

Studio does get less of the share in foreign. As for domestic, the percentage split between Studio and theaters actually varies depending on how well the the movie does along with how long the movie stays in theaters. If a movie does well, the studio takes the majority of the movies earnings intially and eventually, if it stays in the theater long enough than the percentage shifts in favor torward the theater. I used to work for a big theater chain and typically starting out the theater would get to keep roughly one dollar of every ticket sold while the studio got the rest. It essentially starts out at 90/10 in favor of the studio, that was for the intial release and the longer the movie stayed in the theater, the more money the theater would take for ticket sales. Movie theaters make the overwhelming majority of their profits on concession sales which is why all the food items that are sold are so damn expensive. It's also the major reason why when I movie tanks at the box office, movie theaters are pretty quick to ditch the flick within a few weeks most of the time. Not only are they losing on all the concession sales that are not happening because people aren't going to see a given film, but they also don't stand to gain any longer term money from the ticket sales of the movie that is performing strong. I was actually working at a theater when Titanic hit. That movie stayed in the theater for so damn long in part because the cord it struck with(besides the 14 year old girls who were in love with DiCaprio)audiences that kept coming long enough that theater chains eventually started taking the majority of the ticket sales. That is what theater chains want, they want a movie that is going to do so well that they can show it long enough where that percentage split goes to their(along with all the overpriced candy, pop, and popcorn to sell to the people going to said movie)favor.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter