Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

TV shows and stuff: The Spinoff

< Prev 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 ... 170 Next >

09.17.2013 10:49pm

JSG
Registered Member

Well, it's not like sticking with Breaking Bad was sticking with a bad show.  It was more like sticking with an all right show that could go either way for a while and then turned into the best thing on TV in years.  If I truly don't like a show, I don't stick with it.

On a different note, is anyone else watching Low Winter Sun on AMC?  I'm finding it incredibly fun.

Jump to Post

09.18.2013 1:20am
Thread Creator

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

The pilot comes off as a smug, condescending comedy that David E. Kelley would write: "Look at how SAD AND LONELY these suburbanites are! Wouldn't it be WACKY if they decided to SELL DRUGS?" The first season gets better, and is interesting to watch now to see how the foundations were laid, but it's hard to shake that first impression. Even the second season premiere has that charred teddy bear like "WHOA IS THIS SYMBOLISM BLOWING ANYONE'S MIND??"

It's not even that it's bad, it's that it's so easy to imagine the shitty version of it, which is why it's to astounding to see what it actually became.

Jump to Post

09.18.2013 2:11am

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

That fucking teddy bear thing was obnoxious.

Jump to Post

09.18.2013 2:33am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

I thought the pilot was boring, and I wouldn't have kept watching if not for the praise the show was getting.  It gradually improved, and overall the first season was passable.  The second season was very good, but to be clear, not the best season of TV ever or anything like that.  The third season, while good, was a step down.  I didn't like where they went with Jesse's character, and those Mexican twins felt really out of place, like the writers got confused and thought they were making a Michael Bay movie.  I haven't been back, because I'd need to get sent discs by Netflix, and there's too many movies and shows in my queue that are higher priority for me.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

09.18.2013 3:42am

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

I was hooked after I saw the pilot about two weeks after I bought season 1 on dvd on a whim after seeing it on sale and recalling all the praise it's been getting. I liked the pilot so much that I bought season 2 on dvd the next time I was at the store before I had even gotten to episode 2. I'm not saying everything that happened was pure writing genius, but I would say this is easily one of the best shows I've ever seen. Definitely one of my favorites and will be for a long time to come. 

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

09.18.2013 6:23am

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Anyone else getting increasingly annoyed with Under The Dome? I mean, don't get me wrong, I still think it's quite good, but that makes it stand out even more when characters either telegraph their intentions FAR too much (RE: Barbie vs Big Jim re: gonna take you down before he's in any position to take him down) or not enough (Joe vs Barbie re: The Monarch). And then you have Linda, who's all "I don't trust Big Jim", then two episodes later believes everything he says with barely a second thought.

Jump to Post

09.18.2013 1:24pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I stopped watching Under the Done (not a typo) after two episodes because it was incredibly goddamn boring.

Jump to Post

09.18.2013 4:51pm

Testament
Shamshot

I stopped watching after the first episode.  BS changes.  I wanted to watch for Dean Norris, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Jump to Post

09.18.2013 6:13pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Reading people's comments online about the last Breaking Bad, and it makes me sad how many people are watching it and not understanding it.  So many people took that phone call at the end just at face value.

Jump to Post

09.18.2013 7:08pm

Kal
yes

Colinp42 said:

Reading people's comments online about the last Breaking Bad, and it makes me sad how many people are watching it and not understanding it.  So many people took that phone call at the end just at face value.
I'm surprised a lot of people did, too. It was pretty clear what Walt was trying to do. 
I can imagine how all the Skyler haters felt during that scene though "Yeah you tell her dude!", all the while completely missing the point of the phone call.

Jump to Post

09.18.2013 7:39pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Kal said:
I can imagine how all the Skyler haters felt during that scene though "Yeah you tell her dude!", all the while completely missing the point of the phone call the show.

Jump to Post

09.19.2013 10:06am

Tristan
Just Giv'r

I wanted it to be real so bad though!

Jump to Post

09.19.2013 3:09pm
 (Edited on 09.19.2013 at 4:09pm)

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

This public service announcement has been brought to you by the Reido Endgame Emotional Distress Rehabilitation Clinic:
https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/breaking-bad-final-episodes-will-be-extra-long-20130918
Adjust your DVRs (and your OH GOD WHYYYYYYYYY prevention measures) accordingly.

And moving away from Breaking Bad:
I'm watching the pilot of Brooklyn Nine-Nine and it's flippin' awesome.
But being a non-traditional cop show that I like, it's sure to get cancelled after one or two seasons.

*starts setting up space next to his shrine to Damien Lewis' Life*

Jump to Post

09.19.2013 6:19pm

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

Anyone watching The Bridge? It's a well made show with some great actors, but the main story has gone totally AWOL and it's no longer about what they originally promoted it as and has become more of a typical police drama. Kinda frustrating, but I'm hoping they can get things back on track.

I made this for you!

Jump to Post

09.20.2013 1:43am

KyleIII
Registered Member

reido said:

I'm watching the pilot of Brooklyn Nine-Nine and it's flippin' awesome.
But being a non-traditional cop show that I like, it's sure to get cancelled after one or two seasons.

*starts setting up space next to his shrine to Damien Lewis' Life*
I agree, and I'm hoping it keeps up the quality. It's really the only new show I've watched so far this season, and I'm glad it ended up being good.

I was happy to see New Girl back too, as it's easily become one of the strongest sitcoms on the air.

It's Always Sunny has been on a roll this season too. Last night's episode was a bit of a slow burn, but the last act is one of the best they've ever done.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 ... 170 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter