Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

The Force Awakens

< Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Next >

12.20.2015 3:41am

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

Absolutely loved it.

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

12.20.2015 4:00am

Ramses
Registered Member

Can't believe people are supporting this. The Maker ended his Holy Saga, and everyone is thrilled that Disney and JJ Dog Crap are sodomizing the corspe!

2011 FFO Fantasy Football Champion

Jump to Post

12.20.2015 6:19am

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Ramses said:

Can't believe people are supporting this. The Maker ended his Holy Saga, and everyone is thrilled that Disney and JJ Dog Crap are sodomizing the corspe!

You might want to cut down on your salt before it affects your blood pressure

Jump to Post

12.20.2015 2:20pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Disney didn't kill Star Wars.  Lucas did that years ago.  And then he crapped all over the cadaver.

BUT I DIGRESS

Loved it.

But, on my way home I had this weird feeling of... disquiet I couldn't quite figure out for a while.....

(Here there be spoilers specifically with the ending)
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
Primarily my issue going out of the theater was that it aped ANH so much in so many ways, except unlike ANH it can't stand on its own:  ANH is a self-contained story with a solid beginning, middle, and end.  It has threads that lead into EMPIRE, but they aren't really central to the plot.  EMPIRE and ROTJ are basically a paired set directly connected by Han getting captured and rescued; all three prequels are directly setting up the OT.  So TFA wants so badly to be ANH except in the one way that makes ANH unique in the saga, and for me that creates a weird dissonance.

I think a lot of that has to do with the final sequence.

I honestly think that they should have maybe saved that last sequence on the island for the beginning of EpVIII, where it could have been given more room to breath, and not felt like a weirdly tacked-on epilogue.  But I guess they had to squeeze Mark Hamill in there somehow.

Finn and Rey are great--I mean, really, really great--but, to be totally honest?  I think Poe Dameron might be my new favorite Star Wars character.  He's something we haven't really seen to any great detail so far:  a Resistance/Rebellion character who cares deeply for his cause, but is actually on the ground/in the cockpit during the conflict.  Luke and Han were always outsiders, and until ROTJ Leia was more statesperson than soldier.  So it's really neat to see a character who is basically Wedge Antilles getting some of the spotlight (though he needed more of it!).  It really helps that he's Oscar Isaac, because Oscar Isaac is amazing.

More character-specific spoilers, consider yourself warned (for real, no joke, spoilers in here):
I wish I could say the same about Gwen Christie's Captain Phasma.  What a waste.  She does excellent voice work and has a physical presence that is just great, but she is given literally zero chances to do anything.  And then she gets jobbed by Finn, and I kept expecting her to do something and create some conflict there but nope, off she goes in the service of a (actually pretty good) callback joke.

Kylo Ren is great.  Adam Driver does a really great job.  Nice that Rey probably gave him a real reason to wear a mask in the future.  The big scene on the bridge was pretty amazing but awesome--we're too early in the story for that scene to have ended any other way than it did. 

Still not sure what to think about Han.  But it was awesome seeing Chewie go nuts after, and I'm looking forward to Chewie co-piloting for Rey.

General Hux has a lot of potential--we haven't seen many characters with such a fanatical devotion to the Empire/First Order--all the OT officers were so calm and collected, and Hux is anything but.  I hope we see more of him.

Supreme Leader Snoke... Not sure about this guy.  When he first showed up I was like "Man this giant dude is going to make one really stupid fight-scene in the end" but then he turned out to be a hologram and now?  I just don't know.  I'm pretty sure there's more going on there than we've been shown so far, and we have no idea what, and that's actually really cool.  So we'll see.

The thing I liked most about this is that there are women, non-white people, and aliens everywhere.  Even minor background characters.  It's great.  There's even a stormtrooper other than Phasma who is clearly woman-voiced.  It's just so great.

Jump to Post

12.20.2015 10:25pm

Fukiyama
Sysadmin of my brain

My brother and I are waiting to see it after the crowds thin out.

My brother read an article the other day where a Disney guy talked about Harrison Ford's deal and how he was paid a substatial upfront fee as well as getting a percentage of the gross.  The Disney guy said while Mark and Carrie are nice gets, Han's role is pivotal to the plot whereas Luke and Leia are not.

All that build up over Luke not being in the trailers and teasers and then it comes out that only Han is the only important character from the OT...  Okay.

Jump to Post

12.21.2015 2:52am
 (Edited on 12.21.2015 at 2:59am)

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

Fukiyama said:

My brother and I are waiting to see it after the crowds thin out.

My brother read an article the other day where a Disney guy talked about Harrison Ford's deal and how he was paid a substatial upfront fee as well as getting a percentage of the gross.  The Disney guy said while Mark and Carrie are nice gets, Han's role is pivotal to the plot whereas Luke and Leia are not.

All that build up over Luke not being in the trailers and teasers and then it comes out that only Han is the only important character from the OT...  Okay.
One movie doesn't make a trilogy.  Maybe their importance willl even out?

Also: mostly loved it - it's a top 3 Star Wars movie for me.

Jump to Post

12.21.2015 1:42pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I think one thing they really didn't handle well was the marketing, both unofficial and official.  A lot of character got talked up as being of particular importance or coolness but really didn't bring it for this first movie.  I have no doubt that some of those characters will show up later and actually have something to do, but the marketing etc. just sort of made a bigger deal out of them than their roles in TFA really needed.

Jump to Post

12.22.2015 3:40am
 (Edited on 12.22.2015 at 4:00am)

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I dig it. I really dug it. Even my wife, who watched Eps IV-V and had a meh reaction, really enjoyed it. Definitely exceeded my expectations and now I feel like I can forget the prequels ever happened. Mission accomplished.

I guess my only real criticism would be that
Rey was a little too much of a savant once she discovered her powers. Even Luke needed serious training to be able to handle a lightsaber.

That's a pretty minor nit-pick. I know they need to move the plot along. Actually my wife thought the pacing in Episode IV was really slow. Interpresting perspective. I can see it but I've seen it so many times that it feels right when you're immersing the audience into this world for the first time.

Jump to Post

12.22.2015 5:40am

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

Atma Weapon said:

I dig it. I really dug it. Even my wife, who watched Eps IV-V and had a meh reaction, really enjoyed it. Definitely exceeded my expectations and now I feel like I can forget the prequels ever happened. Mission accomplished.

I guess my only real criticism would be that
Rey was a little too much of a savant once she discovered her powers. Even Luke needed serious training to be able to handle a lightsaber.

That's a pretty minor nit-pick. I know they need to move the plot along. Actually my wife thought the pacing in Episode IV was really slow. Interpresting perspective. I can see it but I've seen it so many times that it feels right when you're immersing the audience into this world for the first time.

I'm still thinking that Rey was part of the group of Jedi that Luke was training but then had her memories blocked after Ren went bad.  Part of her memories then started to come back once she touched Anakin's lightsaber.  This could explain how quickly she was able to pick up some of her powers.

Jump to Post

12.22.2015 1:52pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Speculative spoilers and theory over-thinking:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure anything SUPER SPECIAL about Rey probably has something to do with her SUPER SECRET PAST that we (and probably everyone but Luke) don't know anything about, which I am 100% positive involved some time at the Skywalker School for Screw-Up Jedi.

(Crackpot theory time)

I honestly still think she's Han and Leia's kid--yeah, yeah, I know, you'd think they'd've recognized her.  But my theory is that she, and her parents, all got Force-whammied to put her into hiding and protect her from Ren.  Ren, who's clearly capable of pulling information out of people's heads.

"But Han and Leia wouldn't let their kid waste away on some random desert planet!" No, they wouldn't, but I never said Luke gave them a choice.  His (speculative!) use of the Force to alter the memories of Han and Leia, and protect Rey from her (speculative!!!) brother, was clearly the right thing to do... from a certain point of view.

I fully expect that at some point in Ep. VIII we'll get a "Skywalker never told you what happened to your brother, did he?""He told me you killed him!" reveal.

Or, if I wanna get way optimistic here, "No, Ben, I'm your sister.", because that would be a rad inversion.

But yeah, the movie goes out of its way to make this seem pretty unlikely.  But I think that that might just be one more thing cribbed from A New Hope--there's basically nothing whatsoever in that film that would indicate that Vader and Leia are both Skywalkers.

Jump to Post

12.22.2015 2:21pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I guess I'd be ok if they went that direction with the story, but I would like it ws a little less predictable. Also it makes Luke basically the same character as Albus Dumbledore.

Jump to Post

12.22.2015 4:07pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

So The Daily Dot has a neat list of stuff from the TFA novelization (found--spoilers, natch--here).

But, grains of salt should definitely be taken, as "Foster wrote the novelization based on a version of the script that later underwent significant revisions."

Jump to Post

12.22.2015 4:26pm

Fukiyama
Sysadmin of my brain

reido said:

So The Daily Dot has a neat list of stuff from the TFA novelization (found--spoilers, natch--here).

But, grains of salt should definitely be taken, as "Foster wrote the novelization based on a version of the script that later underwent significant revisions."

Not going to check out the link due to spoilers, but Foster writing the novelization based on an early version is par for the course.  Just look at the novelization of Episode IV.  That has a long quote from "The Book of the Whills" and other plot points that make it a worthwhile read for its own sake. :)

Jump to Post

12.22.2015 4:57pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I'll never forget the scene in Ep. IV where Obiwan cut those two guys in half in the cantina.

Wait, wait, that didn't make it into the movie, did it?

Also, "What's a duck?"

Jump to Post

12.22.2015 5:47pm

grey_haven
Formerly known as 'Trekster'

reido said:

I honestly still think she's Han and Leia's kid--yeah, yeah, I know, you'd think they'd've recognized her.  But my theory is that she, and her parents, all got Force-whammied to put her into hiding and protect her from Ren.  Ren, who's clearly capable of pulling information out of people's heads.

I really thought I heard Ren say "She's trying to steal a ship....the part Solo", but maybe I'm hearing him wrong. Nobody else I've talked to seemed to have caught that.

Maybe a nitpick but...

I hate the misdirection they did with Fin being a Jedi. Everyone in the theater knew Rey was the Jedi walking in, right. Now we have this weird moment where Kylo Ren should have just force pushed Fin to the ground when they have their fight. He has no defense against it not being a force user.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter