Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

The Force Awakens

< Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Next >

10.21.2015 4:17pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

III:  Not great, deeply flawed, but mostly enjoyable if you don't think about it too much.  Did a lot of cool things, but didn't really form a cohesive whole.
II:  It hates sand.  Had a cool, but mostly goofy giant battle scene at the end.  Generally forgettable.
I:  I got this one on DVD as a gift in highschool.  I literally never opened it.  Mostly bad idea after bad idea piled up one after the other.  Duel of the Fates is goddamn masterful if you don't pick it apart frame by frame, though.

Jump to Post

10.21.2015 5:57pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

EpIII is the "best" of the prequels. It still has its share of problems, namely Hayden Christensen although he managed to redeem himself somewhat from his horrible 'performance' in EpII. The gag-worthy romantic dialogue in EpII is so clunky you can practically hear it hiting the floor. I just can't get into the movie as a whole either. EpI will always have a special place in my heart as it was the first SW film that I saw in the theatre (I missed the Special Edition releases of the OT) but it's got its share of problems. Namely Jar-Jar Binks. I can stand Jake Lloyd's wooden acting during most viewings. Plus I love Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon, Amidala's costumes, the podrace and the land battle between the Gungans and the droid army (minus Jar-Jar's antics).

So... III-I-II

Jump to Post

10.21.2015 6:13pm

Call
Firefightin' Administrator
Administrator

That's what I meant, Jaran.

Jump to Post

10.21.2015 6:34pm
Thread Creator

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

I don't know if I blame Hayden Christensen for his performance or if it was just bad writing and directing.
I mean Natalie Portman's performance was terrible too in those scenes, and I think it's just because Lucas just didn't know how to write love scenes.

Jump to Post

10.21.2015 6:38pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Id82 said:

... I think it's just because Lucas just didn't know how to write love scenes dialogue between human beings.

I've always been of the opinion that one of the biggest reasons the prequels suffered under Lucas was because no one around him was willing to tell him he was wrong, or that things he was doing were bad.  I mean, it's George fucking Lucas, so I can see how it would be easy to be intimidated by working with him to the point that you wouldn't want to upset him.

I'm guessing there was a lot of "Yes, sir, Mr. Lucas, sir, whatever you say" in all levels of production.

Jump to Post

10.21.2015 8:30pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Lucas was never a good director when it came to working with actors, as I understand it.

Also, yeah, can't ignore the obvious: Motherfucking Marlon Brando in his prime couldn't have made that putrid dialogue sound acceptable. You can only polish a turd so much. And both Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman have proven capable actors in other projects. (Christensen in Shattered Glass, Portman in, well, just about anything else.)

Jump to Post

10.21.2015 10:38pm

Amer
pew pew pew

Anyone ever read http://www.starwarsringtheory.com

It doesn't make the prequels any better, but it does make them slightly more interesting. 

Jump to Post

10.22.2015 6:42am

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

I love the fuck out of the prequels...but ring theory is pretentious shit that makes me wanna cringe.

My order'd be III > I > II. The issue is that II relies the most on Padme, who's by far the prequels' worst character. She's essentially a pair of tits meant to drive Anakin into madness. She needed to be fleshed out better. Every other part of that movie was fine. That was just grating.

shooter_mcgavin said:

That said while JJ Abrams for me felt a bit too safe as a director for The Force Awakens, which I can understand since Disney wants the best possible outcome for the first film of the this new Trilogy (and having the director of Looper, Rian Johnson is a bold hiring for Episode VIII), I like the fact JJ Abrams is a Star Wars Fanboy. I mean there's many that said the novels from the expanded Universe are some of the best stories in Star Wars and those novels were likely written by fanboys. My take is that Abrams took The Force Awakens in a direction fans wanted it to take, more so than the prequels when fanboys were upset about Jar Jar and Darth Vader was both an annoying and whiny kid.

But will fanboys take it anywhere interesting? Or will Abrams pull another Star Trek Into Darkness?

I dunno if Rian Johnson will be better or worse. Johnson has more ideas than homages. That said, Looper sucked to high hell.

Of these, I'm really the closest to excited for IX. Not that I think Colin Treverrow is a masterful storyteller, but he's down for campy fun and I'm extremely worried in trying to please the "George Lucas Raped My Childhood and Empire Strikes Back is the Way and the Life" set, the franchise is gonna lose its shit to make sure they're pleased. So yeah, it'll probably be laughably lame, but it'll be laughably lame in a fun, enjoyable way.

Y'know, if Disney doesn't choke to death on its own hubris. Am I an asshole for thinking that would be hilariously entertaining?

Jump to Post

10.22.2015 9:51pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Anakin Skywalker's whining in EpII was at an 11.

Anakin Skywalker's whining in EpIII was more like a 7 or 8.

I don't think Natalie Portman was so bad in EpI. I think what happened is the character got progressively less important in II and III and finally became nothing more than window dressing.

Jump to Post

10.22.2015 11:12pm

Fukiyama
Sysadmin of my brain

THX II38 was not bad as far as human interaction.  I wonder if that is due more to the fact that the actors were extremely talented or due to the fact they were in a movie where human relationships were meant to be stifled and stilted.  I haven't seen American Grafitti lately.  I need to to better judge how good or bad the acting/directing of actors was in that.

As far as the prequels go, I will go with this: (I = III) > II.  Each movie has serious flaws, but II with the romance is just plain bad.

Jump to Post

11.06.2015 2:20pm

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

THERE IS ANOTHER

Jump to Post

11.06.2015 2:28pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

This shot made me gasp out loud:

Jump to Post

11.06.2015 2:30pm

Jaran

Also seems like the village the first order burns the fuck down is on Jakku. Maybe while searching for the escaped Finn?

Jump to Post

11.06.2015 2:35pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

1) Some of Rey's lines are edited together pretty poorly, particularly that bit about her family, which is clearly two completely different sentences jammed together in an editing booth.
2) WILHELM SCREAM.
3) That shot at the end with "Hope is found" being centered directly on Rey (despite Rey being in distress) is not subtle.
4) December is next fucking month aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jump to Post

11.06.2015 2:50pm

Jaran

REIDO I HAVE BROUGHT YOU A .GIFT

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter